Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing custom ringtones after iOS 8.2?

After update to iOS 8.2, all my custom tones/ringtones are missing. When plugged into iTunes, the Tones are listed under the phone, but I am not able to "access" them or find them to set for a contact, etc., through the phone. My contacts assigned a custom tone still say that tone but it doesn't play.

Also, after the update the iTunes library no longer has any of my music or tones (as they were previously) and the Sync box is unchecked. ALL of the data is on my iPhone. How do I get music/tones from my iPhone to iTunes? When I check the Sync box, it says it will delete content on the phone and sync with what is on iTunes. Obviously this would wipe the music/tones from the phone.

Yes I backed up before the latest update. Should I restore from back up?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 4:45 PM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2015 7:16 PM in response to geckomon

Well, after much research, "back door" efforts, and nervous trial and error, I figured it out. Had to risk losing a back up and settings when resyching everything, but was able to finally get all my custom ringtones/tones added back to my phone. Apparently with the new iOS 8.2 update, the CUSTOM ringtones/tones did not stay "visible" on the phone. So I made sure all the tones were in the media library, and then had to manually relink each tone to the location for iTunes to recognize them again.

Anyway, once all that was done, the custom ringtones/tones then synched to the phone. Whew!

Missing custom ringtones after iOS 8.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.