Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading .csv into numbers 3.5.2

Numbers 3.5.2

I have been trying to download .csv files from Google Adwords Keyword Tool into numbers. These files readily are imported into numbers, yet the format is not correct. All of the information is there, and in the appropriate rows, however it is not parsed into columns appropriately (i.e. all of the data is dumped into the first column instead of column 1-5).

I downloaded a LOT of files and now I'm looking to convert them all into a useable format.

Does anyone know how to convert these useless files into the appropriate format?

RegardsUser uploaded file
Matt

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 1TB Fusion Drive, 32GB

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:18 PM

13 replies

Mar 28, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Meesta Feesha

One more thing to add that may help you help me.... When using the Keyword Tool, I get two options upon clicking download:

1.)AdWords Editor CSV (You can import this format (back into) AdWords as a Spreadsheet) *** I do not use this option, seems redundant...

2.) Excel CSV ***

*** are my comments. Anyone know what Excel's CSV 'standard' is??? (please don't beat me up asking about Windows junk!). It's my understanding that there are many different delimiter standards-not just commas. Again, counterintuitive, but I digress.

When I select download it AUTOMATICALLY selects Numbers, which, counterintuitively, is NOT the best file to open .csv files with (I have heard that pages or a text editor are better). So here are my questions:

Can anyone suggest a way that makes another file (i.e. NOT Numbers) be the default when downloading and/or opening .csv files?

Can anyone suggest a good app or program to do this with?

Mar 29, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Meesta Feesha

From reading here it seems that the relevant flavor of CSV is comma-separated.

How are you importing that into Numbers? Are you double-clicking the file in Finder? Or are you doing File > Open from Numbers and navigating to the file? The latter should work.

If you're still having trouble, then a good solution for you may be this CSV to Tabs on Clipboard Automator Service (Dropbox download).

To install just doubleclick the .workflow package. (You may need to click 'Download Anyway' in System Preferences > Privacy & Security).

To use, select the .csv file in Finder (not Numbers), right-click (not double-click), and choose CSV to Tabs on Clipboard in the Services menu. Specify the delimiter when prompted. Then when you see the notification that the data is ready, click once in a Numbers cell and command-v to paste.

SG

Mar 29, 2015 11:38 AM in response to SGIII

My Chrome browser (or Safari) automatically downloads it when I hit the "Download" button in AdWords. It then shows up in the browser-then when I click it, it opens as a Numbers file. There's no way (that's apparent) to assign it to a specific file OR save it as another type of file.

Opening Numbers, then clicking file>open does NOT work

Regarding CSV to Tab, when I DL from your link and click it it opens in a new window with a script box... 1.) I have no Idea where this file is located on my machine for future use (e.g. I searched for it in finder and couldn't find it-file or icon), 2.) I can't seem to open any relevant files on the left hand side (i.e. in the Actions category) The files are saved to my desktop, but that isn't visible nor are any relevant file storage folders... I can see "Files & Folders" in the actions bar, but searching that was not productive.

Mar 29, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Meesta Feesha

Have you tried to figure out where Safari places downloaded files? On my machine downloaded files are placed in the Downloads folder. So I know to go there to find the file and right-click it.

After right-clicking and choosing from the Services menu, you don't look for a file again. As described above you click once in a cell and command-v to paste.

SG

Mar 29, 2015 1:03 PM in response to SGIII

That's where my stuff goes too. However, I can open it by clicking in the upper right in Safari (where it shows the files I've recently downloaded) and access it. Usually I can find applications with finder (and sometimes Spotlight search, which IMO isn't all that great). I'm new to OS(X) so I'm still learning how to navigate the file saving nuances of it.

Thanks.
Matt

Mar 29, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Meesta Feesha

To clarify-I opened each file in Numbers, then converted to .csv (it can do that why can't it open it???)

Not sure what you're doing there. Numbers can import most properly formed csv files. But as far as I know Numbers has no "convert" choice in the menu.

Have you tried in Finder selecting the file, right-clicking the file, then clicking and pasting the results into Numbers? That's using Apple technology too.

SG

Mar 29, 2015 5:00 PM in response to SGIII

When I EXPORT (sorry-wrong terminology! I said convert in the previous post, but meant EXPORT) it to a csv file, it works when pasted into LibreOffice. I did not try reopening it then in Numbers...that might just work, but is nearly as circuitous my current method. Its funny that i can export as a csv and cant open the same file...

I did try your second suggestion and it did not work. As best I can tell Numbers won't use csv files with google's delimiters... I'm not sure what form they are in or how to tell. My understanding is that semi-colons, not commas are now the norm for csv?

Mar 29, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Meesta Feesha

Why do you think just opening a csv file in Numbers is "circuitous"? Isn't that the most direct way?

I don't use Google Adwords but I am guessing it does not use ; as a delimiter. But even if it did, I think you would find that the Automator Service has that possibility covered. It prompts you to specify the delimiter. Have you tried that?

SG

Mar 29, 2015 7:55 PM in response to SGIII

I don't think opening it is circuitous, but opening>Exporting>reopening is... Especially for dozens to hundreds of files... Regardless if I reopen it with numbers or LibreOffice. Numbers WON'T open it directly...

I was not able to use the Automator Service to open any of these files. It opened and looked operational, but it couldn't find my files...??? It still seems like another work-around.

Matt

Downloading .csv into numbers 3.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.