Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted windows partition shows up as "free space" help

Deleted my windows partition and it showed up as "Free space" and when I try to make another one it doesn't save correctly when i click "apply" and the free space won't blend with my original partition. please help 😟

Im trying to reinstall my windows portion because i got a virus and now my partitions aren't working right.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:23 PM

15 replies

Mar 28, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Aria-senpai

You have removed the partition. It cannot be reconnected to the main partition very easily because you are now using CoreStorage devices. You can convert the disk back to an HFS+ volume using the Terminal application if you feel you can handle that.

BTW, you did not have to remove the Windows volume to re-install Windows. All you needed to do was use Windows recovery on the installer DVD to erase the volume.

Mar 28, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Aria-senpai

Open the Terminal application. At the prompt paste the following:

diskutil cs list

Press RETURN.

In the listing you should see a line or two for your Macintosh HD. One of the lines will identify itself as a logical volume. You want the device identifier for that entry. It should look like diskn, where n is an integer - like disk0. Write that down or remember it. Next, paste

sudo diskutil cs revert /dev/diskn

Substitute the real entry for diskn that you wrote down. Press RETURN. You will be prompted for your admin password. Enter it. It will not echo to the window. Press RETURN, again. After the prompt returns restart the computer.

You should now be able to stretch the startup volume to its full size in Disk Utility.

Mar 28, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Aria-senpai

You cannot revert this back to JHFS+ file system. Look at Revertible : No right above the first Macintosh HD entry. The Encryption status is already unlocked.

Can you now try to convert the Free Space to a Mac OSX Extended Journaled file system instead of Free Space or try Kappy's suggestion of dragging the bottom right corner of Macintosh HD to the very end bottom.

Deleted windows partition shows up as "free space" help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.