Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie content library isn't showing up

I have a problem with iMovie which I have just installed so it is an absolutely up to date version. My content library isn't showing up at all. Tried to restart iMovie as well as Mac and still nothing works. Suggestions what to do?

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:47 PM

3 replies

Oct 24, 2017 4:03 PM in response to jason269

Just to expand on the answer, opening or importing a video in iMovie won't automatically show the content library in the left sidebar, and the menu items will be greyed out. The import or vid actually has to be made into an actual project. It took me a while to figure this rather (though hardly uniquely) unintuitive part of iMovie.

One would expect to open, say, an Audacity, Powerpoint, Word, etc. file in their respective programs and immediately start messing with it with all the applicable tools, or else the tools would be made operable in an immediately intuitive way. The 'help' for iMovie doesn't tell you this, it just blithely tells you the content library will be found in the left sidebar.

Apple's focus for many years now has been on whatever's best monetizable. iMovies didn't even install when I upgraded to Sierra. It doesn't make money to be helping people with freebie apps, let alone paying people to make the things more useable.

iMovie content library isn't showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.