Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not sure about getting iMac 5k

I would really like to get an iMac 5k but I hear it has some pretty upsetting lag/fps drops when using it.

Does anyone have experience with these? If they lag a lot or even if it's bothersome lag and doesn't lag too much

I still don't want to buy one. I don't want to spend that much and have mediocre performance.

Any help is appreciated.

I've also thought abou thte 2.5k iMac but would really like the 5k.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 4:07 PM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2015 7:18 PM in response to punkmanmatthew

I bought the 5k back on 27th of February.

Best Mac I've owned so far in 20 years. And I have owned A LOT of Apple Mac's and gear. Mac junkie. Fastest too. No lag experience at all. Whether streaming the new Youtube 1080p 60fps. I even skip ahead in one of these videos and it is instant to play again. I don't have Flash installed, native html5. Ands the base 8GB RAM installed. I haven't added more yet.

I use mine for photography (Lightroom now sadly with Aperture gone), iTunes music, iTunes video, video conversion at times. Knock on wood - I am seriously impressed with it. And I'm a tough critic on just about everything.

Go for it - I bet you will be very happy and impressed.

Mar 29, 2015 11:18 AM in response to punkmanmatthew

I have not encountered any "stuttering" at all. With your post I even did the old hold Shift Key down and click minimize dot. Slow and smooth.

I'm pretty tough on computers and a tough critic.

Quick story - every year since 1994 I buy the latest and "fastest" new Mac. When done though, the family all gets upgrade - the wife got my old one, oldest kid her old one, youngest got older sibling one. Went on for years. Also how I justified buying new every year LOL

And with every new computer I got, faster CPU, more ram etc… you get it home set it up and - you didn't really notice a difference. Not a dig at anyone - just reality.

After all these years - riding in car with my kid, youngest so you know he's not young anymore - he said he saw Retina in name of my new iMac (I run a server he logs into) "any good?" First time I tell him in all these years a computer I actually am blown away with speed I notice. OS speed, internet speed faster, Don't blink I say - whatever I did is done. Freaked me out. Lightroom opens sp fast. Internal file transfers blazing from one computer to the next.

And I bought the "entry" iMac 5k.

Best computer I have ever owned. And that is saying a lot over these years and many 10's of thousands of dollars in Apple computers.

Yes I'm gushing - it's that good. LOL

Mar 29, 2015 11:25 AM in response to punkmanmatthew

punkmanmatthew wrote:

I would be using it for pretty much what you said.

I really just like the 5k though. If it's better than the macbook pros screens then it must be great.

What about mission control and ui animations? Do those drop in fps a lot or stutter?

Or are they very smooth?

It is quite apparent from your responses that you have already convinced yourself that the 5K iMac will have problems. In other words you believe the negative reports. So if you decide to buy the 5K iMac your frame of mind will make you find fault with it. So take some advice and don’t buy it. You will not be happy and you will obsess on perceived deficiencies. It’s human nature.

Not sure about getting iMac 5k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.