Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6 TB internal Time Machine Backup Advice

apologies for the multiple posts today. i am trying to finalize my backup on a new system.

i have previously run an OS drive and another "data drive" in my mac pro while having the other two drives act as daily clones.

however i am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced external drive to back up my 4 TB data drive (it will give me a lot of years to add to it).

so i am considering buying a 6 TB WD "Red" drive and putting this in the machine and using this INTERNAL drive to act as a backup for the 4 TB data drive.

if i do this i can repurpose the 4TB drive that is currently acting as a clone for the OS drive.

if i do this i will have internal drives acting as time machine backups and i can buy a more reasonably priced 4 TB external drive to act as a daily clone for the OS drive.

is this a good or bad idea?

THANKS for any help as i try and finalize this.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:28 PM

It's a good idea. I do almost same way backup.

7 replies

Mar 28, 2015 6:38 PM in response to kaz-k

hi kaz-k.

thanks a lot. it only now occurred to me that this might be more efficient.

can i please ask you if you happen to know whether i should buy one or the other of these? i guess i could post on a separate thread but there is a green and a red (NAS) WD hard drive. i have the 5,1 mac pro these days and generally buy the black caviar hard drives.

thanks

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/Theme ID.21986300/categoryID.65801000/subCateg…

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.21986300/productID.3 06326800/parid.13092500/catid.68249200/c…

Mar 29, 2015 1:09 PM in response to hotwheels22

OWC sells a drive sled (bracket) for internal drives of 6TB as the size and alignment of drive and SATA plug and power would otherwise be off and not fit.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MPRODBKTLG6/

Some people use a couple and exchange internal drives (shutdown, they are not hot-swap friendly).

You said something about a drive for the system - all you want for the system is small and fast and even PCIe style, whether an Apple/.Samsung M.2 blade or XP941 - great for system or scratch or where you need high speed IO. Usually 256GB is fine. A Samsung 850 EVO is even inexpensive.

Then use your four drive bays as needed. And continue with the separate boot and data drive setup.

6 TB internal Time Machine Backup Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.