Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the Real Way to Pair a Remote?

I just got a third-generation Apple TV from a friend (he didn't want it). He didn't have a remote for it any more, so I bought a new one from Apple. The directions say to hold down RIGHT and MENU for 6 seconds and it will pair.

What REALLY happens is the light on the front of the Apple TV begins to flash after six seconds and then... Nothing. The remote doesn't control the Apple TV.

Fortunately I can control it with my iPhone and the Remote app, but I'd like to get a remote paired to this thing eventually, so any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I tried using the remote app to go to Settings, Remotes, etc. and pair it there. No go. That doesn't work either.

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:22 PM

Your Apple TV may have become paired with another remote. Hold the remote close to and pointed at the Apple TV, hold down the menu and Rewind buttons together for 6 seconds or until you see a broken chain icon on screen.

2 replies

What's the Real Way to Pair a Remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.