Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport connects but says invalid up address

hi

I bought a new airport express today I was using a gen 1 ap express and my modem is a d-link DSL-300t, I am running the latest version of Mavericks

the new airport keeps asking me to power cycle my modem which I am doing then it connects and shows as full wifi strength but then in the airport utility it says the ip address is invalid Or asks me to switch to bride mode, if I then switch to bridge mode it then goes back to invalid up address. It's like a loop it just goes around without actually going online.

so I then tried to swap back my old airport express so I could use the Internet and it shows the solid green light and the wifi strength on the Mac is showing as full but it won't connect to the Internet at all, which I don't understand at all.

i have tried all the power every down and restart advice and nothing is working

any more ideas or help please as I am at a loss at what to do

thanks

paul

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:51 PM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:23 PM in response to PaulRackstraw

If your modem is using a 10.x.x.x address it will work poorly or not at all with the apple router which also uses 10.0.1.1 IP address range.

You must reset the airport to factory and start again.

Hold in the reset button for at least 10sec.. the front led should flash rapidly.. or even do it at power on.. holding the reset in and waiting at least 10sec.

A full reset will then allow you to bridge the airport.. and plug it by ethernet into the modem.. if that fails you may have messed up the modem settings in the process and need to reset both.

Is the modem working in bridge or router mode??

Mar 29, 2015 3:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I meant I was on Yosemite not Mavericks

My modem is using a 192.xx.xx.xx address, the airport is using the 10.0.1.1 as you say

I reset the airport to factory settings as you said and still I get that message saying invalid ip address

I have logged into my modem on my web browser and made sure my bt internet settings are all correct that they have given on their website: http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/258/~/can-i-use-my-own-br oadband-modem-or-router%3F

the modem isn't working in either bridge or anymode

It is green on the little light and in airport utility the internet says it is connected but the airport base icon below it just gives that no valid ip address message

I am at a lose - any ideas?

Mar 29, 2015 2:46 PM in response to PaulRackstraw

the modem isn't working in either bridge or anymode

Modem is the first task.. forget the airport until you get the modem going again.

If you are in the UK then use PPPOA and the modem must also work as router..

DSL-300T sounds a very old model.. hmmm very old.. it is adsl1 only.

The correct setup is here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/34-dlink-dsl300t.html

If you still fail to get internet with a computer plugged directly into the modem by ethernet something is majorly wrong.. and i strongly suggest a new modem.

You must get full internet access by modem direct to the computer before you worry about anything else.

Then you can setup the airport again.

Use manual setup in complete isolation to the network.

Here is one with a bt home hub.

Linking AirPort Extreme to my bt home hub

No luck I think you need to get BT to help you.

Airport connects but says invalid up address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.