Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

non-Apple apps close immediately when out of cell service area

Hi,

When backpacking out of range of cellular and wifi coverage, my iPhone worked fine (for awhile) -- I would power it off, then back on, use some apps, then power it off until later.

At one point, almost all apps stopped opening. I tried most of the apps on my phone. To be exact, they would open, but then immediately drop me back at the home screen. Pressing then home button twice would show me the app had opened, but selecting it would show it for a fraction of a second then drop back to the home screen.

These apps worked: Calendar, Maps, Music, Camera, Notes.Compass, Clock, Photos.

These apps didn't: Google Maps, Pandora, Sonos, Wiper, Authy, Authenticator, Clear, Gaia GPS, MyRadar, Alarmed, Stanza, Groupon, Chrome, Spotify (etc.)

I tried toggling airplane mode, wifi on/off, bluetooth, reset all phone settings, power down then back on (at least 5 times), force power off and then on (couple times). I toggled all the settings I could think of. Always no app would stay open (other than the ones Iisted above).

I had to cut my backpacking trip short because I could no longer interface my iPhone with my satellite communication device (it uses a bluetooth-based program on the iPhone and the app wouldnt (stay) open). (I need to be in contact with the office, even in the backcountry)

I left the phone on, and drove back into cell range. As soon as I had signal, all the apps started working again.

Why did the non-apple apps stop working? Is there some way to get them working when out of cell range? They work when I turn on airplane mode at my house, and always have.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:09 PM

There are no replies.

non-Apple apps close immediately when out of cell service area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.