Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS sending pictures as 'Full Size Render'

I assist someone with doing online listings. Many times he takes pictures with his iPhone and sends them to me

via email. Every time I get the pictures - instead of being numbered like every other camera/phone on the planet

does - the pictures are all tagged 'Full Size Render'. This make my job infinitely more difficult, as I have to rename

every single one of them, so that my computer doesn't keep harping about them having the same name. What needs

to change on his phone to stop this?? And why is it even doing it in the first place?? It is NOT beneficial in ANY way

for the phone (or iOS) to do this. If anyone knows which settings needs to be changed, your input will be greatly

appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. This is happening when he sends the pictures at full resolution, as we need them that way, or eBay rejects them.

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2017 6:32 AM

I agree with you. If your iPhone cannot seamlessly transfer photos to your Mac after doing edits on your iPhone, that eliminates one major advantage it had for me in selecting an iPhone over competing phones. After endless updates--still no fix. Makes me long for the days when "It just works."

32 replies

May 13, 2017 9:30 PM in response to Wakko Warner

I have tried the remedy others say has worked for them. When the camera app is open, the 3 circles (together forming a triangle) are tapped and set as 'none' on the filters screen which opens with the tap. I sent myself some trial photos and they still came through all the same as Full Size Render. I checked the setting of the filter again, tapped none again. Then I turned the phone off, thinking the change may only take effect with a restart. Booted it up again and tried the test again - same result, FSR's again!! This is extremely frustrating, and a mystery as how come the suggested remedy works for some and not for others??? There is clearly something else going on. I have just now looked at the camera settings and under Camera, there is an item "Preserve Settings", you touch this and it takes you to another screen, the second option on this screen is Photo Filter (on or off). Mine was at off, must be the default as I have never used it before. The text with this says "Preserve the last used filter, such as Chrome, rather than automatically reset to None". So going by this, filter should always be at None, unless manually changed. Now I set this to Yes, and took a photo with no filter. Emailed a a couple of pics to myself - still came with FSR!!!!!!

Took 2 new pics, repeated the process - came through with IMG numbers different - success!!

Tried a third time, with 2 random photos from the library, without changing anything, hoping for same result, NO!! FSR again.

Took two new shots, cam through with IMG numbers. So based on all this, it seems that FSR will result with old photos being emailed from the phone library but new photos are OK! Crazy, Apple need to fix this!!

Jun 7, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Wakko Warner

Turning filters off is not a suitable answer for this question. Sometimes you have to crop or lighten/darken an image. Either way, when you do that to a couple of photos and every one of them is call "Fullsizerender" that is ridiculous.

If the main photo was IMG_1234, then the full size render should be fullsizerender_1234.

Turning the filters off is not the answer to this.

Jun 8, 2017 4:20 AM in response to LMDAVE

I agree with you. It is not the answer. It's totally crazy. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the FSR versus IMG file names, it seems based on further experience since my previous post to be complete random. Apple really need to sort this. My perception of Apple is that they consider they are always right and there products are always perfect, the user must be at fault! Not so, this is an extremely frustrating issue and Apple need to lift their game, identify the cause and FIX IT!

Apr 3, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Wakko Warner

I have the exact same issue, a client sending me photos from an iPhone 6 (not sure if it's the plus). Not sure if I'll be able to find out how she's taking the photos, though, she speaks little English and her knowledge of software is far worse. :-(

I've had to save dozens of low-res images, each from its own separate email, all with the same name, and have to click "Keep Both" every single time when the error pops up in the Finder.

I would like to kill whoever taught her how to take pictures with her phone. (And I'm kind of fascinated to know what she's doing that produces that result.)

Apr 9, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Nada0159

I don't think the solution is setting the filter to "none". I have the same problem when sending images from my photo stream outside the camera app. The images arrive with their original file names stripped and the new file name is "fullsizerender". This is s huge problem. It creates tons of work on the receiving end because all of the file names need to be changed before they can be saved otherwise you end up with the error message about duplicate file names. If you don't catch the process, you end up overwriting the original file. Plus, most senders won't know how to change their settings to accommodate the work flow of the receiver. I can't imagine asking all of those people that send me images attached to an email to make a settings change on their iPhone. Since it's on the iPhone 5 is it everywhere on every iOS device?

Apr 10, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Wakko Warner

This is real problem for me as well. Have you found any workable solution except to take an immense amount of time to change the file names as you save any attachments? This idiocy also loses the connection between the file name that the sender might reference and the file name that is received. I haven't checked, but does the metadata accompany the file?

Apr 17, 2015 1:20 PM in response to jon2974

I did some trials using my iPhone 5. I used a filter on the camera, then emailed the image in "large" format. It arrived as "FullSizeRender.jpg". I then took another photo with no filters. The image arrived with it's correct file name IMG_1830.JPG. The work around from Nada0159's son is correct.

However, in order for me to have a sender email me an image created with their iPhone, I have to ask them, before they take the image, to not use any filters on the camera. Does that make sense to anyone? What if the creator of the image wants to use one of the filters and make the images they take special? Any time the filters are used, the original file names are lost which means the receiver of the files has the file name conflict problem and has lost the original file name. I think the metadata is transferred in tact which is somewhat of a relief. If I want to shoot a project with my iPhone and send images to myself, I can't use filters if I want to keep the original file names and avoid the renaming chore when I receive them into Adobe Lightroom. So don't be creative with the camera options.

I also took two photos, when with a filter and one without, and emailed them. One kept the file name and the filtered one came in as FSR.

Next, I tried the app Camera+. All images kept their file names as IMG_xxxx.JPG. For my own use, maybe that's the best option.

May 10, 2015 1:18 PM in response to mjt484

It appears that the problem is the 'filters' section of the camera app. I utilize two iPhones for my work and one would work perfectly with jpeg photos and the other was 'full size rendering.jpeg'. Noticed that one had color circles at the bottom of the camera app and one had black and white. The 'black and white' worked as I needed....downloaded jpeg images. No renaming necessary.

Open the camera app. Touch the three circles at the lower left...a screen with different filters will open...select the "NONE" filter and all will be great. An earlier post indicated the 'photo' section for this but this requires each photo to be adjusted. Using the camera section allows for all photos to be the correct format.

It appears that this is the 'default' setting and somehow I made a change that effected my photos.

I contacted Apple support today and let's just say the supplied info was 'in conclusive".

Try this approach and see if it works for you also.

iOS sending pictures as 'Full Size Render'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.