Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping Keynote from Taking Both Screens

I have an iMac (early 2009, w/Yosemite), and a separate monitor. I want to display my Keynote (version 6.5.2) presentation on the separate monitor and keep control of my iMac screen for running another program. However, once I start the Keynote presentation, the iMac screen is automatically taken over by the Presenter's slides function of Keynote.

I do not need the presenter to show on the iMac. I have our weekly church announcements scrolling as a Keynote presentation on the external monitor, and need to use the iMac screen from controlling our live stream broadcast.

Is there a way to keep Keynote running on the external monitor and not take over the iMac screen?

Thanks for any information..

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:10 AM

When Keynote is in play, no other application will be shown. The work around is to use two computers.

6 replies

Apr 2, 2015 1:57 PM in response to PastorWynn

You could export the Keynote announcement loop as a QuickTime movie, and use QuickTime Player in the second display to show the loop.

Set up your presentation as normal, and then export it as a self-playing QuickTime movie. Open the file in QuickTime Player, drag it to your second display, and set it to Loop (Menu View:Loop or Opt-Cmnd-L). Make it full screen and you are off to the races 🙂

Two draw backs

1) Complicated (i.e. lots of transitions and animations) presentations make for very large QuickTime files (I created a 4 slide file, text only, with an animation on each slide and a transition between each: the Keynote file was under 500KB, the QuickTime video was 8.2 MB; you might be able to optimize that a bit by playing with resolution and minimizing animations).

2) Depending on your computer's processing power and RAM, QuickTime movies can be processor intensive to run - playback may be impacted if you are running other apps in the background.

Keeping Keynote from Taking Both Screens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.