Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect thunderbolt external to non-TB mac pro 5,1?

is there a name for a converter that will get me from a thunderbolt external hard drive to a port on my non-TB mac pro 5,1?

i mean, can i get newer thunderbolt enabled externals hooked up to my 5,1 mac pro?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:13 PM

That name is "non-existent".

To use ThunderBolt, a computer must have left the factory with a Thunderbolt port, or slot specifically intended to install a Thunderbolt card.

6 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

hi grant.

just so i am sure here. my older mac pro needed a non-mac produced mini DP to DVI converter. the only converter mac makes is to get the /new/ computers hooked up to an old monitor but mac doesn't make a converter to get me from my older mac pro to a newer cinema display. so i have to buy from a third party.

from what i am gathering you are saying that i cannot buy a third party converter to get a thunderbolt connected device to hook up to my mac pro 5,1?

if so, am i correct in assuming that i cannot buy something to put thunderbolt into this 5,1 mac pro?

THANKS

Mar 28, 2015 8:31 PM in response to hotwheels22

"if so, am i correct in assuming that i cannot buy something to put thunderbolt into this 5,1 mac pro?"

Yes. You are correct that there is nothing that will put ThunderBolt on that Mac Pro.

The easiest way to remember how to connect up ThunderBolt adapters is that the ThunderBolt plug must connect to a ThunderBolt port on the computer. Once you have done that the other end of the adapter can be connected to whatever port is designed to fit.

connect thunderbolt external to non-TB mac pro 5,1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.