Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many vertical ft in a Health App "flight"?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, Health Dashboard

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 8:15 PM

I agree that typically 10' per flight is the norm. However I have been hiking the same mountains for years and cross checking with altimeters and topographical maps: my conclusion is that the iOS app and phones are highly inaccurate.

I just hiked 10+ miles and up and down about 1300'. This is all confirmed on separate maps and devices. iPhone always sells me short. Says I did 8.3 miles and 94 flights.

I've used iPhones 5s, 6, and 7+ and have not seen any substantial improvement. I suppose if you are a mild walker or are just counting daily steps in highly populated, mapped areas it probably is not off by much. But if you are a serious hiker esp in rural areas, just go get a serious garmin or at least download a better app. Which will map and interpret the iPhone raw data better. (One app said today I hiked 8.9 miles and 100 flights. Still off but closer.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2017 8:15 PM in response to sberman

I agree that typically 10' per flight is the norm. However I have been hiking the same mountains for years and cross checking with altimeters and topographical maps: my conclusion is that the iOS app and phones are highly inaccurate.

I just hiked 10+ miles and up and down about 1300'. This is all confirmed on separate maps and devices. iPhone always sells me short. Says I did 8.3 miles and 94 flights.

I've used iPhones 5s, 6, and 7+ and have not seen any substantial improvement. I suppose if you are a mild walker or are just counting daily steps in highly populated, mapped areas it probably is not off by much. But if you are a serious hiker esp in rural areas, just go get a serious garmin or at least download a better app. Which will map and interpret the iPhone raw data better. (One app said today I hiked 8.9 miles and 100 flights. Still off but closer.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.