Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just set up my AirPort Extreme but my wifi is still bad!

I Just set up my airport extreme and my wifi is just as bad if not worse than before. I connected it to my AT&T modem which took a very long time to finally do but i finally got that green light. the whole point was to increase my speed and it's just as bad as before. Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:21 PM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2015 8:17 PM in response to KingsLa

If you test and find wireless slow you need to go back to the start and test all possible causes.

1. Plug computer directly into the cable modem.. test the speed by ethernet.

2. Plug the AE back in.. you have to power cycle the modem each time you do it.. and then with the AE setup measure the speed again over ethernet.. wireless should be turned off.

3. If the speed over ethernet is fast in 1 and 2, disconnect the ethernet and try using wireless..

Test from the same room.. make sure all the wireless names are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. password same rules but can be longer.. 8-20 characters.. name try and use less than 10.

Use WPA2 Personal wireless security. Ensure that IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer..

No luck with 3 we need to know.

What wifi device you are testing.. for instance IOS will not gain much from AC routers.. it is limited to single stream.

For computer how old, what type and OS.. and if you have upgrade installed yosemite.. which is also a major issue.

Can you do testing in wireless cafe or other public area and determine the wireless is working well elsewhere?

What model AE do you have?

What firmware is it running? What modem is handling the network? Is it modem or router and how is the AE configured?

All these things can be relevant.

I just set up my AirPort Extreme but my wifi is still bad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.