Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto creates copies of originals without editing it?

Hi,

iPhoto is creating previews of original files I have just imported to my mac (whether source is camera, photostream, etc).

These pictures were never edited, but still duplicated and is taking up disk space.

This is a picture that was just imported from photostream without any edits. A preview was created automatically with almost same size (2.2MB for original, 2.4MB for preview). Sane applied for importing pictures from SD card, camera, etc.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Even iphoto sees the picture as original and modified although I never touched it!

User uploaded file

Any idea why this is happening and how to solve it?

PS: I discovered this thanks to "cleanmymac 2" app!

Thanks

Ahmad

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 12:12 AM

iPhoto is creating preview photos for sharing to the media Browser.

In that specific case the photo seems to be a portrait photo and iPhoto created a rotated version, even if you did not explicitly edit it.

Don't let CleanMyMac2 touch the library and remove the preview. This will cause problems, if you ever try to create additional edited versions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 12:12 AM in response to AbuZahra

iPhoto is creating preview photos for sharing to the media Browser.

In that specific case the photo seems to be a portrait photo and iPhoto created a rotated version, even if you did not explicitly edit it.

Don't let CleanMyMac2 touch the library and remove the preview. This will cause problems, if you ever try to create additional edited versions.

Mar 29, 2015 12:40 AM in response to AbuZahra

This can happen if the images have a display tag - like auto-rotate. When your camera does this it does not actually rotate anything, just tags the photo with a message: display me this way up. iPhoto sees this message and create a preview for sharing. If it didn't, then all the images you share to emails, word processors or online would be sideways.

This also applies to other display tags like Black and White, Sepia and so on.

CleanMyMac does nothing helpful on your Mac. Get rid of it.

Mar 29, 2015 12:51 AM in response to léonie

So you're saying this is not a bug?

but even if iPhoto needs to share the pics to media browser, it should not create duplicates. It doesn't make any sense and is taking up disk space (20GB!).

any idea why some pics were not duplicated then?

I won't let cleanmymac delete anything. I'm hoping that TBL Photos app will sort this issue...

Thanks!

Ahmad

Mar 29, 2015 1:36 AM in response to AbuZahra

So you're saying this is not a bug?

It is the intended behaviour, like TD explained. Not all applications interpret the autorotate flags and other flags correctly, so iPhoto creates a preview for the Media browser and lets the original untouched. The rotated preview cannot double as the original, because it has been subject to a lossy JPEG compression.

looks like cleanmymac2 is not welcomed? I thought it removes old cache, pref files, etc that are not being used

We have seen quite a few problems caused by excessive cleaning. Caches are created to speed up performance. If you empty them to save space, you slow down your mac, because it needs to recreate the cached data every time the application launches. And some caches must not be cleaned. Many of the questions related to "Videos don't play" are caused by cleaning apps emptying a cache, that is only created when the system is installed.

I tested CleanMyMac2 on a test library, when it first came out. At that time, it would replace the original image files by the previews of the edited versions. The consequence was, that the originals suffered a loss of quality due to the additional JPEG compression, and it was impossible to revert the edited images to the original state. Worse, it was implemented buggy. If a photo had several edited versions, the other edited versions were replaced by the same version - the original lost as well as the edits. That is why I recommend not to use it on an iPhoto Library. Don't use cleaning apps and let them touch files, where you do not know, how they are used. MacOS X has automatic housekeeping tools, that are running regularly and cleaning caches, rotating log files, etc. A Mac does not get dirty. Have you seen this article? Worth reading:

http://www.thesafemac.com/the-myth-of-the-dirty-mac/

iphoto creates copies of originals without editing it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.