Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus???

Every time i press a button on a website, a new tab automatically loads up advertising mac cleaner etc or other types of advertisements. its never done this before up until a couple days ago and its starting to get annoying. i could be streaming online and ads will pop up out of nowhere.

At one point a tab came up saying something along the lines of 'the tech support has detected a virus but failed to stop it' and provided me with an american number to call to sort out the issues. i decided to give it a shot and rang up. a lady with poor english was directing me on what to do and i was struggling to understand her which led to a full hour conversation of just me clicking an icon on my laptop and editing a link so that they can detect my MacBooks current issues. it then came up with over 30,000 something. i can't remember. but she said 10,000 is classed as minor but mine seems to have crashed because of so many problems. after what felt like another lifetime, she then told me if i wanted to get it fixed i could choose to pay for a lifetime warranty of roughly £400 or 2 year warranty of roughly £300.

When i told the lady i wasn't sure about this and needed to put money in my account in that case, she was persistent for me to make payment straight away. when i refused saying i don't have sufficient funds in my account to do so, she said 'use your credit card or debit card allows overdraft' but i told her i don't have a credit card nor overdraft allowance. she then transferred me to her supervisor who then also tried to persuade me to pay on the spot. i told him the same excuse and he said he will give me 2 hours to put the money in my account and that he will call me again to take payment.

i dont trust him. but i need my macbook sorted. someone help? i work 6 days a week so finding it hard to get into the city centre apple store during opening hours. if someone can give me a step to step guidance on here would be great

thank you

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:49 PM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:14 AM in response to getfunkylee

getfunkylee wrote:

they actually accessed my laptop as in they were scrolling around on my 'behalf' to find my 'problems' so now I'm thinking what if they're accessin all my account details and passwords? i mean, is that possible? should i like reboot my laptop? 😟

Yes, since you gave scammers remote access to your computer, anything's possible at this point. You should erase your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch, change account passwords, etc. See:

Tech support scam pop-ups

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Virus???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.