Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple start making user upgradable MacBook Retina's

I'm personally infuriated that I cannot upgrade my used 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13". I think this speaks volumes about Apples Profit driven priorities at the expense of the lowly consumer. I will repost a post I read earlier...

I have to agree with many of those frustrated with Apple move on the "Pro" version.

I'm mainly speaking from a graphic design stance regarding pros. Yes, for most designers, photographers and other artists the iMac and Air handle their needs. Apple has been closing the gap between the consumer and pro steadily. With that caveat of the higher end graphics needs.

But the sweet spot the MacBook Pro has given us power pro's is the ability to not be chained to a desk if I choose to render/edit 4GB files in Photoshop or FCP (not X).

The need for post-purchase-configurable MBP is not about being a tinkerer. It's about buying on the budget you have for one year and upgrading years later to keep the good ole' Mac relevant. It was further relevant because I have the knowledge to do most upgrades myself and not incur any cost but that of the hardware. The post-purchase-configurable MBP isn't just about that, it's for when you do work later that you never anticipated and it out classes your mahcine by just enough. Buy a new Mac or spend a fifth and still pull off the job?

For me, the new MBP no longer fits the longevity argument versus price. Even if I can swing the maxed out MBP, that argument goes out the window as soon as Apple Care runs out. That's HALF my usual life of a Mac. Look at it this way. My battery dies under warranty. Previous to this you took the battery in and they swapped it out. No real down time. Now…I send in my WHOLE computer. Then hope a backup or loaner can do. Oh, that's not counting all the time you have to take to install the SW you might need if it's a loaner.

That's probably the biggest gripe of pro's. Seriously, don't make me go Windows! Because if I have to go to the model of every 4 years a new Mac (laptop anyway)—sorry a PC and Advil are cheaper and on par now days.

And, I have written Apple voicing my displeasure. Apple/Mac user since 1991.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:22 PM

1 reply

Apple start making user upgradable MacBook Retina's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.