Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network users in mixed desktop and portable environment: Best Practices

Hello,

When using Server 4.0 in a network that includes both Mac desktops and Macbook devices, what is the recommended setup for network users and their Home directories?

The environment I'm building would best be suited for a "Local Only" Home folder setup due to the frequent use of large files, such as iPhoto stores, by many users. However, how does that function with the portables? When on the network, the user has all files accessible locally, but once off site, the user is not available. I know that a user may be converted into a Mobile Account so that it is available both on and off the network. However, my understanding is that this is more suited for syncing Home folder, i.e. when the Home folder is on a network share. Will a mobile account also function this a "Local Only" Home folder setup?

Essentially, I'm using the server to manage network users, not to serve files for the Home directories.

Thank you.

OS X Server, 4.0.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:41 PM

1 reply

Network users in mixed desktop and portable environment: Best Practices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.