Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is mobile sync backup?

What does Library/Application Support/Mobile Sync/Backup do for me? Mine takes over 8Gb and has files dating back to 2011. Is it safe to delete these? I have no idea why I need them.

Any help appreciated as I try and slim down my MBP.

James

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:39 AM

These backups are from your mobile devices.

You can delete those backups to free up storage space.

But make sure that you sync your mobile devices soon after deleting those backups to create a new backup for your devices.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4 replies

Jan 2, 2016 8:25 AM in response to dominic23

Hello dominic23,

I used omnidisksweeper drive list and it identified two separate drives which are my Macintosh HD and mobile backup. Under the mobile backup, it stated I had 0 bytes out of 159 GB.

So yesterday, I selected the mobile backup drive using omnidiskweeper and for about ten hours the system kept going thru identifying all of these backups, so I started deleting them after reading on the forum that it was ok to delete these old backups.

Also, in my Mac HD I deleted about 40 GB of waste using omnidisksweeper, which now shows only 65 GB being used but on my istat pro display, it shows that I only have 32 GB of space available out of 121 GB out of a 159 GB total. Also, shows 0 bytes available for mobile backups out of 159 GB.

I have a Mac Book Pro, Mid 2009, with 8GB ram, and 160 GB HD using Yosemite OS.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help

What is mobile sync backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.