Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up problems with SSD and Yosemite

The past couple of years my MacBook Pro has served me well. It has a 3. party Samsung 830 series SSD 256 GB build in.

Last week I installed af security update to Yosemite, and since then it has been an up hill battle. When ever I start up the computer I’m met with a stop sign. Since nothing seems to work, I have deleted the SSD and reinstalled Yosemite from scrath. Occasionally I’m able to get it up running, but when ever it has to be restarted, you never know what the resulted will be.

The most stabled solution I have been able to find, is to reinstall Mountain Lion, that came with the computer. Now it restarts every time (I think), but it is still showing the stop sign at first for about 2 seconds, and then it starts.

I have tried disableling Kext to see, if this makes a difference. It does not.

Just for testing I have installed Yosemite on ad memory card, just to see if it boots. It boots up just fine. Off course this isn’t a solution, that can actually be used to anything.

So, any ideas or comments are wellcome – I’m running out from ideas.

I’m considering changing the hard drive to the on of the latest Samsung SSD, e.g. Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD or the new pro version, but I would hate to do this, if the outcome will be the same.

But as the computer boots fine from the memory card, it would indicate, that it is the SSD that is defect.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:21 AM

It could also be the internal SATA cable. Take out the SSD and install it in an external enclosure. Connect it to the MBP via USB and see how it performs.

Ciao.

19 replies

Mar 29, 2015 4:09 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Well, somehow you helped me :-)

Removed the SSD and put it in again. I have booted 4-5 times, and it boots like a charm. Can't really say, why this helped, but it did.

Now the big question is: Should I try install Yosemite running the risk, that I get stuck un the stop sign again. Knowing my self, that's what I will be doing in a couple of hours. :-)

Thanks for your help!

Mar 29, 2015 4:36 AM in response to bossen16

Run an Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not definitive.

What happens when you install the original RAM? Any difference. Macs are very selective when it come to RAM. Some brands, even with the 'correct specifications', are not compatible.

Check if you had a kernel panic. If so follow these instructions to log it and post it:\

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201753

Ciao.

Mar 29, 2015 5:23 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I did the hardware test. It shows no problems.

I haven't got the original RAM or harddisc. I bought this mac used. The Ram and SSD have work fine so far, and when I reinstall the original IOS, that came with the computer, it doesn't work either. This indicates that the problem doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade to Yosemite.

I have an external usb HD, but I fail to see, how I can use this for testing the SSD. Off course, I can install Mac IOS on this too and see, if it'll boot.

I'll look into the kernel panic warning, if I ever get the Mac running again. It's down for good at the moment.

Hmmm, I'm stuck here. Maybe a new SSD and a new SATA cable will be next step.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Mar 29, 2015 5:55 AM in response to bossen16

bossen16 wrote:

I have an external usb HD, but I fail to see, how I can use this for testing the SSD. Off course, I can install Mac IOS on this too and see, if it'll boot.

Yes that will work. What you are testing is to see if there is an internal connection problem. If the MBP operates normally, then that points to a faulty SATA connection cable.

Have you at any time installed Lion in your MBP? I only ask that to make certain that it is registered in your name with your Apple ID.

Ciao.

Mar 29, 2015 6:30 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes, I have installed Lion on my MacBook to see if this helped, and for a while i seemed to be a solution. But only for a while...

Meanwhile I'm back on Yosemite, Installed it from a bootable usb stick. But still I get the stop sign at first, but eventually it started. I'm sure, if I restart I will be in trouble once again 👿.

So, what to do, is to install Yosemite on the USB Hard Drive? If this works and the Mac boots, there are still two possibilities: The ATA cable or the SSHD. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Mar 29, 2015 6:45 AM in response to bossen16

bossen16 wrote:

So, what to do, is to install Yosemite on the USB Hard Drive? If this works and the Mac boots, there are still two possibilities: The ATA cable or the SSHD. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

If it boots, then replace the SSD with the HDD and if it boots internally, then the SSD is faulty. If it does not, then the cable is faulty. I am assuming that the external HDD is a 2.5" formfactor.

Ciao.

Start up problems with SSD and Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.