Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library stored externally and after upgrade doesn't want to open file

I recently needed to free up some hard disk space on my Macbook and exported my iphoto library on to my external hard drive. This allowed me to install OS Yosemite and update all my software apps and programs including iphoto. However after the iPhoto upgrade, I get the succession of following messages when trying to open up my iphoto library from the external drive:

1. The photo library need to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto - Click Upgrade

- After I click upgrade I get a second message...

2. There is a problem accessing one or more files in you iPhoto library. Do you want iPhoto to repair permissions for this library for you? - Click repair

- After clicking repair third and final message appears before iPhoto automatically quits..

3. Warning: The library could not be opened because the file system of the library's volume is unsupported.

If any once can help with advice on how to restore my iPhoto library please advise.

MacBook, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 12:19 AM

What kind of external drive are you using? What is the file system on the external drive? And how is the drive connected?

To check the file system, select the icon of your drive in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I (for File > Get Info).

The Info panel will show you the format of the file system in the "General" part of the panel. It should be "MacOS Extended (Journaled)".

User uploaded file

If the file system is not "MacOS Extended (Journaled)", you need to remove the iPhoto library from that drive to a disk with a correct format. Or copy all contents of the drive to a different location and reformat the drive with Disk Utility as described here for Aperture - see the link: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 12:19 AM in response to Liz Watts

What kind of external drive are you using? What is the file system on the external drive? And how is the drive connected?

To check the file system, select the icon of your drive in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I (for File > Get Info).

The Info panel will show you the format of the file system in the "General" part of the panel. It should be "MacOS Extended (Journaled)".

User uploaded file

If the file system is not "MacOS Extended (Journaled)", you need to remove the iPhoto library from that drive to a disk with a correct format. Or copy all contents of the drive to a different location and reformat the drive with Disk Utility as described here for Aperture - see the link: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

iPhoto library stored externally and after upgrade doesn't want to open file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.