Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In my folder "Pictures" - the same picture figure more than once

When I move pictures from my iPhone to Iphoto my MacBook Pro, I get this problem....

My photos below Finder - > Pictures , appears twice and sometimes more than twice. This also happens to my pictures from music albums. It's annoying , since I now have 15,000 pictures under "Pictures" even though I only have 2,500 pictures stored in iPhoto.

It seems like for every face that appears on the photo, it creates a new copy/picture.

I have recently bought a new MacBook Pro, and the same happens the new MacBook

Anybody who can help me???

Best Regard

Meikey1234

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 2:01 AM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2015 2:23 AM in response to Meikey1234

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Mar 29, 2015 2:29 AM in response to Meikey1234

It seems like for every face that appears on the photo, it creates a new copy/picture.

Are you looking inside the iPhoto Library Package in Pictures? Or how are you seeing the Faces?

It is right, iPhoto creates small thumbnail images for every face in every photo to be used with the Faces view. But these are stored inside the iPhoto Library package and should not be visible in your Pictures folder unless you open the iPhoto Library package or your library has become corrupted.

Mar 29, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence an Léonie

Thank you for answering.

I am pretty sure, my son has not done anything about the settings, so I asume he is using "Managed library".

He do this....

Connecting iPhone to his MacBook Pro. iPhoto appears and he import the pictures. Everything is fine and there is only one copy of each photo in iPhoto.

Then if he open "Finder" (the image "Finder" on the button to the left of the MacBook) -> Pictures, he can se the photo, has been copied into as many copias as persons appears on the picture...

Friday he bought a new MacBook, made a back-up folder, so he just would copy from his iPhoto, where the pictures only appears once, but again he can se under "Finder" -> "Pictures", that the photos are being copied for each face/person on the picture...

Does it make sense?

Thanks again Maiken 😊

Mar 29, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Meikey1234

Your son is looking at the "All my Files" view and not directly at the Pictures folder. "Billeder" in "All My Files" means all image files, not the folder "Billeder". It will show all photos on his mac, not only the the ones in the "Pictures" folder.

He should not use that view. It will reveal files inside library packages and is dangerous.

My "All MY Files" is showing something similar. It is showing any image file that is somewhere on the Mac.

User uploaded file

He should access the Picture Folder from the Finder's Sidebar by clicking the Pictures icon.User uploaded file

If the Pictures folder is missing from the sidebar, enable it in the Finder Preferences. Click somewhere on the empty desktop to bring the Finder forward and open the Preferences from the Finder menu.

User uploaded file

In my folder "Pictures" - the same picture figure more than once

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.