Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook is not charging battery anymore

Hello!

please I need some help here, I can't charge my macbook white unibody mid-2010.

From some time I've been seeing the green/red light only turns on when I connect the charger in only one direction (from behind). But one day it didn't turn on anymore, in any of two directions, and stop charging. It's says not charging.

I also tried this things with no results:

• Tried the charger in another macbook and works perfect.
  • Also works the socket, and works fine.
  • Tried reseting the SMC and PRAM, nothing happened.
  • Clean the connector of the macbook, it's a bit old by now.

Here are some screenshots of some details of the battery:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:52 AM

It seems that you can still use your MacBook plugged in, so it is not a power adapter issue (as you said). In this case, it looks like some weird battery issues referred to the charging connector, so I would recommend you to make a backup and take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller, as it clearly is a hardware issue.

If you want to try and discover what the exact issue is, your Mac comes with Apple Hardware Test, so try performing an extended test -> Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 4:52 AM in response to alekb

It seems that you can still use your MacBook plugged in, so it is not a power adapter issue (as you said). In this case, it looks like some weird battery issues referred to the charging connector, so I would recommend you to make a backup and take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller, as it clearly is a hardware issue.

If you want to try and discover what the exact issue is, your Mac comes with Apple Hardware Test, so try performing an extended test -> Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

Mar 29, 2015 8:23 PM in response to mende1

Thank's mende1 I have tried the Apple Hardware Test, the complete one, stays like 1.30 hrs, the result was everything was ok, no errors found. And once I restarted it, starts charging! Like normal the red ligth was on, and charged up to 100%. But now, a few hours ago, I'm in 80% and stop charging at all. It's connected and light is green, but is not charging. This is really strange, isn't it?

bye!

Mar 29, 2015 9:48 PM in response to alekb

The manufacture date of the battery is 2010.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/is_lithium_ion_the_ideal_battery

"Some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not. The battery frequently fails after two or three years. It should be noted that other chemistries also have age-related degenerative effects."

So the battery can fail after 3 years, even if it's not in use.

" And once I restarted it, starts charging! Like normal the red ligth was on, and charged up to 100%. But now, a few hours ago, I'm in 80% and stop charging at all."

So probably time to get a new battery.

"Clean the connector of the macbook, it's a bit old by now"

Something else to keep an eye on. That connector is all part of the DC in board.

Macbook is not charging battery anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.