Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send texts to one particular friend, texts work one-way, phone calls work both way

For about a bit more than a month now, one particular friend (and just one, as far as I can tell) has not been receiving my text messages. He can send me texts messages and we are able to call each other. The texts emitted from my phone however, don't seem to go through. I have no indication that the text has not been delivered (no red exclamation point next to it). This particular person is not using an iPhone for this particular phone number.

I am using an iPhone 4 (32GB) running iOS 7.1.2.

I have tried many different things.

(1) I have checked that this friend was not in my block list. The block list is empty. But even if that person were in my block list, would I be able to receive texts and call? I have tried adding that person to the block list then sending a text. Then removing that person from the block list and texting again.

(2) Yesterday I have restored my phone from a backup. I then erased completely the (long) text exchange between me and this friend, waited for the phone to process the deletion and tried again to send a text. I then deleted the entire contact information of this friend. And then I texted the phone number.

None of these steps have worked. I'm very puzzled.

Has anyone ever been confronted to an issue like this one?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:36 AM

This friend has an iPhone and I can iMessage him on his other phone numbers (he has three). For a short time the Sim card attached to this phone number was inside an iPhone and we did iMessage each other but that was almost a year ago (April 2014). That sim card is now in an ordinary phone (not a smartphone, not an iPhone). We reverted back to texting for a long while. It only began to act strangely on January of this year.

On that friend's contact card, 2 of the numbers (the ones attached to his iPhone) have blue bubbles next to them. The number I can't send texts to doesn't have that blue bubble - meaning that the number doesn't have iMessage capabilities, right?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 4:36 AM in response to Rudegar

This friend has an iPhone and I can iMessage him on his other phone numbers (he has three). For a short time the Sim card attached to this phone number was inside an iPhone and we did iMessage each other but that was almost a year ago (April 2014). That sim card is now in an ordinary phone (not a smartphone, not an iPhone). We reverted back to texting for a long while. It only began to act strangely on January of this year.

On that friend's contact card, 2 of the numbers (the ones attached to his iPhone) have blue bubbles next to them. The number I can't send texts to doesn't have that blue bubble - meaning that the number doesn't have iMessage capabilities, right?

Can't send texts to one particular friend, texts work one-way, phone calls work both way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.