Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac asks for account login on startup

Recently my macbook has been asking for me to login before the computer has even started up. When I say 'before startup' I mean before the bar has loaded and before the actual desktop background appears. Does anybody know what's happening?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:16 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

From what you say, maybe you have turned on FileVault. FileVault is a system included in OS X that allows you to encrypt the whole hard drive, and it causes that your Mac asks you for the user password even before OS X is loaded. You can check whether FileVault is enabled in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> FileVault, but this is not a security problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 4:16 AM in response to mrzwt

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

From what you say, maybe you have turned on FileVault. FileVault is a system included in OS X that allows you to encrypt the whole hard drive, and it causes that your Mac asks you for the user password even before OS X is loaded. You can check whether FileVault is enabled in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> FileVault, but this is not a security problem.

Mac asks for account login on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.