Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 unable to render file for export

I am now no longer able to export photos as jpg after updating to iPhoto 9.6.1, running Yosemite 10.10.2

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:58 AM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2015 6:39 AM in response to léonie

I had edited two jpg photos in iPhoto. I was trying to export both to a folder on my Macbook Air (with sequential tagged names).

Editing is not a problem, I can share by email, but can't export to my hard disk.

A window appears with an exclamation mark stating "iPhoto encountered the following issues while exporting your photos". The error message issue list then has "unable to render file for export" and includes a file path to a file on dropbox, which had been deleted several weeks ago, but was the last location I had exported photos to.

Mar 29, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Red-1

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Mar 29, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Red-1

Does it look like this?

User uploaded file

I get this error message, when the folder I want to write to cannot be accessed by iPhoto, because I do not have write permissions. Try to create a new folder in the file chooser, when you select the folder for export. Apparently iPhoto tries to write to Dropbox instead to the folder you selected. Can you export to your Desktop?

Mar 29, 2015 1:59 PM in response to léonie

There are no permission restrictions and hard disk only just over half-full. I have had several problems since installing the security update 2015-003 just after the iPhoto update ten days ago. MS office 2011 crashed and powerpoint wouldn't open; had to a complete uninstall and reinstall of office but still not working correctly. Preview crashed and wouldn't open any files until several re-starts later. Verify disk suggests everything is OK. It appears the security update has corrupted something in the OS, but no idea where to start looking.

Mar 29, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Red-1

Have you tried to reinstall MacOS X by booting into Recovery? If you have so many problems, it looks like a system wide issue.

Perhaps the recent update did not download and install correctly. In that case reinstalling on top of your your current system might fix it.

See this link: OS X: About OS X Recovery

If not, ask again in the Yosemite forum. It does not seem to be an iPhoto problem, and in the Yosemite forum are our system experts.

iPhoto 9.6.1 unable to render file for export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.