Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I use the new numbers and try to sort a column in my spreadsheet, the values change instead of staying the same. In other words, I might want to alphabetize a column and yet my results change.

When I use the new numbers and try to sort a column in my spreadsheet, the values change instead of staying the same. In other words, I might want to alphabetize a column and yet my results change.

I knew the old system inside and out; this new system is not allowing me to do the simple tasks I am used to doing.

MacBook Pro

Numbers 3.5.2

OS X Yosemite

version 10.10.2

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 5:50 AM

4 replies

Mar 29, 2015 7:25 AM in response to cleanbrew

Hi cleanbrew,

I suspect that you are trying to sort a column of values that are the result of formulas. A simple link between tables, i.e. Table 1::A2=Table 2::A2 will not sort. I hear that Numbers behaves more like Excel in this now. Without knowing what your formula is it is impossible to recommend an alternative.

quinn

Mar 29, 2015 12:32 PM in response to t quinn

Quinn, thank you for your thoughts. Below is what I have set up in the past and had no trouble executing. I like to be able to see who is in the team lead as well as the leaders in the players column. Now when I reorder the columns, all of the values change. I went to the Apple Store for help earlier today and was told that I should go to the given cells, click on preserve row and all should be fine; it wasn't. I even went to preserve column and that didn't help. It is just annoying that they fixed something that wasn't broken. Ok, I am sure it can become second nature to me once again, but it seems as if the new way is more trouble than it is worth. I hope what I have shown below gives you a better idea of what I am trying to do/create. Thanks in advance for the help.

Teams

Players

Valspar Championship

Mark Gruber

Furyk, Kuchar, Mickelson, Z. Johnson

Baddeley, Aaron

Jason Harter

Every, Kokrak, Palmer, Walker

Bae, Sang-Moon

Adam Geier

Berger, Daniel

Aaron Hermansen

Hoffman, Z. Johnson, Palmer, Walker

English, Harris

Eric Hermansen

D. Johnson, Kuchar, Palmer, Spieth

Every, Matt

Matt Hinkel

D. Johnson, Z. Johnson, Kaymer, Kuchar

Furyk, Jim

Matt Fitts

Berger, Jones, Palmer, Steele

Hoffman, Charley

Jeff Hartley

Z. Johnson, Kokrak, Palmer, Walker

Horschel, Billy

Andy Luedicking

Z. Johnson, Kuchar, Palmer, Walker

Howell III, Charles

Dave Epstein

D. Johnson, Na, Palmer, Walker

Johnson, Dustin

Greg Vice

English, Kaymer, Kuchar, Walker

Johnson, Zach

Tim Schroeder

D. Johnson, Z. Johnson, Kaymer, Steele

Jones, Matt

Shane Spears

D. Johnson, Palmer, Steele, Walker

Kaymer, Martin

Greg Johnson

English, Z. Johnson, Furyk, Spieth

Kokrak, Jason

Eric Fox

Baddeley, Bae, Furyk, O’Hair

Kuchar, Matt

Mitch Harter

Na, Palmer, Perez, Walker

McDowell, Graeme

Rob Hutzelman

Every, Kokrak, Palmer, Walker

Mickelson, Phil

Chad Engelbert

Kuchar, Palmer, Spieth, Walker

Na, Kevin

Ben Kellerman

D. Johnson, Palmer, Kuchar, Walker

O’Hair, Sean

Jon Tibbetts

Palmer, Walker, Spieth, Na

Palmer, Ryan

Nicholas Butturini

D. Johnson, Na, Palmer, Walker

Perez,Pat

Jeff Combs

D. Johnson, McDowell, Palmer, Walker

Spieth, Jordan

Justin Perkins

Z. Johnson, McDowell, Na, Watney

Steele, Brendan

Walker, Jimmy

Watney, Nick

Mar 29, 2015 7:15 PM in response to t quinn

Mr. Quinn,

If you look up to what I sent earlier, I (for example) for Mark Gruber, in his column (it would be C here) I did =E6+E15+E20+E11 That gave me the total for those cells. They stayed there even when I changed their order.

Let me know if I am getting closer to helping you understand where I am coming from and where I want to go.

Thanks,

cleanbrew

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.