Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booted Into Safe Mode, but external USB HDD doesn't show up?

Hi all, I've booted into Safe Mode because I've been having spinning beachballs and unresponsiveness, but for some reason my external USB drive isn't showing up in 'Finder' and I need to run Time Machine.

Does anyone know why?

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 5:47 AM

19 replies

Mar 29, 2015 7:06 AM in response to NewbMacUser

NewbMacUser wrote:

Does anyone know why?

See here: See here: OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

Some features aren't available in Safe Mode

Some OS X features aren't available when your Mac is started in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, or use audio input or output devices. Some USB, FireWire and Thunderbolt devices may not be available. Wi-Fi networking might be limited or unavailable depending on the computer and OS X version you're using.

I don't know which ones are compatible and which are not, and it may be Mac-specific.

Mar 30, 2015 7:47 PM in response to NewbMacUser

NewbMacUser wrote:

Thanks for your replies!

I'll try mounting the HDD in Disk Utility.

Barney,

I just checked this link and it says "Safe Mode in OS X v10.6 or later also disables File Sharing. This means you can't mount Time Capsule disks or volumes served by computers started in Safe Mode." OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

That actually means you can't share files from a Mac booted into Safe Mode, not necessarily that you cannot connect to another Mac from a Mac booted into Safe Mode. File Sharing is a service of the host machine, not the client. If the Host is in Safe Mode, it won't work. If the Client is in Safe Mode, it may work.

Mar 30, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks Barney, but I don't have access to another Mac...

I'm desperate to copy my files off the Mac's HDD: Is the only way I can do this is formatting an external USB HDD to HFS+ in Disk Utility? Is there another way?

I've got a USB 16GB stick plugged in, but it's not showing up in 'Finder' as it usually does...

Edit: Is it possible for me to uninstall apps from within Safe Mode because I'm not getting any spinning beachballs in Safe Mode...

Mar 31, 2015 3:00 AM in response to NewbMacUser

NewbMacUser wrote:

Does anyone know of a way for me to copy my files off the Mac's HDD? I'm really desperate here because in Disk Utility it says that the Mac's HDD is failing.

You need a drive that will work on your Mac in Safe Mode. I'm not sure anyone knows what that may be, though. Apple is rather vague on that.

If the drive is failing, buy a replacement, install it, reinstall OS X using Internet Recovery, then get an external enclosure for the old drive. You may be able to mount it and get your files off of it.

Booted Into Safe Mode, but external USB HDD doesn't show up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.