Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I downgrade Yosemite 10.10.1 on my macbookpro model 4.1. It has only 2 GB of RAM and is incredibly slow with Yosemite?

My MacBook Pro is model 4.1 running Yosemite 10.10.1. It has only 2 GB of RAM. It is obvious that this computer is not able to run this OSX because it is incredibly slow! I have done all of the recommended tune-up procedures with no difference being made in this slowness problem. How do I downgrade Yosemite to an earlier OSX version? When I was running Mavericks, the computer was okay...operating normally. Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 5:59 AM

Install more RAM.

3 replies

Mar 29, 2015 6:14 AM in response to capreol

You should install more RAM, but aside from that, you can revert fairly easily if you made a complete backup of your system before you upgeaded. Reverting would require that you erase your hard drive, and then use the recovery partition to restore from your backup. Ideally, you would have cloned your previous system to another drive, which would allow you to boot from that drive and clone it back to your original system disk.

Mar 29, 2015 12:24 PM in response to capreol

Do a backup, preferably 2 separate ones on 2 separate drives.

Revert to a Previous OS X - Yosemite

Revert Yosemite to Mavericks

If you do revert, I'd use Setup Assistant to restore your data. This process takes a while, so do it when you won't need the computer for several hours, based on my experience.

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

how do I downgrade Yosemite 10.10.1 on my macbookpro model 4.1. It has only 2 GB of RAM and is incredibly slow with Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.