Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will unlocked AT&T iPhone 6+ work on Verizon?

Hey guys,

I'm a long time Verizon customer and just recently my friend, who has AT&T, decided her iPhone 6+ was too big for her hands so she gave me her iPhone. I'm in the process of getting it unlocked and wanted to know if there was a possibility of getting it to work with Verizon. I've seen some conflicting answers - most say Verizon won't activate it b/c it's not a Verizon phone, others say if you pop the activated nano sim it should work.

Any advice?

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:06 AM

23 replies

Jun 28, 2017 9:56 PM in response to nbperez

I am also having this issue I actually have already unlocked my iPhone 6 Plus and have recently sold it to somebody I still think that it's their responsibility of knowing whether or not the phone could've worked but they are still getting the same Sim compatibility error. Would factory resetting the phone again reset the unlock. Should I try or turning off and turning it back on?

Mar 29, 2015 8:51 AM in response to nbperez

nbperez wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm a long time Verizon customer and just recently my friend, who has AT&T, decided her iPhone 6+ was too big for her hands so she gave me her iPhone. I'm in the process of getting it unlocked and wanted to know if there was a possibility of getting it to work with Verizon. I've seen some conflicting answers - most say Verizon won't activate it b/c it's not a Verizon phone, others say if you pop the activated nano sim it should work.

Any advice?

As long as you are on Verizon's 4G LTE network, it should work. However, not all features will necessarily work. Visual Voicemail is often one that doesn't. You will need to use a SIM that has already been activated in a Verizon phone.

Mar 30, 2015 6:20 AM in response to nbperez

Strange...I've always heard that in the US, Verizon uses CDMA technology (a hardware function), but AT&T uses GSM. For this reason, I was under the impression that an AT&T phone couldn't work on Verizon's network in the US (ignoring questions of carrier locking, of course). Does anyone know for sure if this has changed? (I have an AT&T iPhone 6 and would like the flexibility of changing to Verizon service if I move to area where reception is better with Verizon).

Mar 30, 2015 7:00 AM in response to RichmondDan

All iPhones from the iPhone 5 and later have both CDMA and GSM radios, and from a technical perspective can work on either. In addition, these same phones all support LTE, which is supported by all carriers in some locations. There are administrative reasons an AT&T phone may not be usable on Verizon and Sprint; both carriers traditionally have refused to allow phones that were not purchased for their use to be attached to their network (aka "bring your own device" or "BYOD"). There have been mixed reports of Verizon finally allowing BYOD, but Sprint still refuses.

Apr 25, 2015 10:52 AM in response to RichmondDan

I was under the impression that only Sprint phones work with Sprint, but not sure if it is because CDMA radio. (I'm talkinf about physical capabilities.) however, to support Lawrence Finch's comment, I believe that both Verizon and Apple cand operate on the LTE network. I would refer to this thread started by rigormortis, who is very knowledgable about the technical features of iPhones and their interoperability with various carriers:

(What you're talking about appears later in the thread.)

not only is the iPhone 6 unlocked, but the t-mobile phones work on verizon!

Apr 25, 2015 11:11 AM in response to bandita108

There has been new information since this thread started. A non-Verizon unlocked iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6 or 6+ will partially work on Verizon's network, but it isn't a good solution. It is frequently discussed in Verizon's support forum, where most of the information below comes from:

• You need a previously activated Verizon SIM; it will not work with an unactivated SIM
  • It will only work on LTE; it will not fall back to CDMA if LTE is not available
  • Some features may not work, such as time sync, Visual Voicemail and SMS
  • Verizon's policy is that they will not provide tech support for iPhones not sold for use with Verizon's network. They will know, because their database has a list of all MEIDs of Verizon phones and if it doesn't come up in a database search they won't help you with problems. This is stated by Verizon in their own support forum in response to questions about Bring your own device.

Apr 25, 2015 11:08 AM in response to bandita108

bandita108 wrote:

I was under the impression that only Sprint phones work with Sprint, but not sure if it is because CDMA radio. (I'm talkinf about physical capabilities.) however, to support Lawrence Finch's comment, I believe that both Verizon and Apple cand operate on the LTE network. I

All iPhone 6 and 6+ are 4G LTE capable phones. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and TMobile, the major US carriers all use 4G LTE for cellular data. Verizon and Sprint have used CDMA for cellular voice, AT&T and TMobile have used GSM. However, all carriers are moving toward using 4G LTE for everything, voice and data. On supported phones, in 4G LTE coverage areas, Verizon uses 4G LTE for voice as well as data. That means that an unlocked AT&T or TMobile phone 4G LTE capable phone could work on the 4G LTE network on Verizon. However, that phone would not work on Verizon's CDMA network. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are 4G LTE capable phones.

However, there's more to it than just 4G LTE vs CDMA. Since Verizon's activation system doesn't recognize a phone not originally intended for use on their network, it won't process an activation of the phone. In order to get the phone to work, you need to activate the SIM in a Verizon phone first. Even then, problems have been reported getting non-Verizon phones to activate on the network, even though it is theoretically possible. Verizon doesn't prohibit the use of non-Verizon phones on the network but they don't recommend it and won't provide much support if there is an issue with the phone working on the network.

Dec 4, 2015 3:40 PM in response to David R Ann Arbor

David R Ann Arbor wrote:

I guess I won't be taking advantage of the AT&T Access More credit card to get a $650 rebate on buying an iPhone 6+ which I was hoping I could unlock and successfully use with my Verizon service.

Since this thread was last active, things have changed. Verizon will now accept iPhone 6/6+ and 6S/6S+ from other networks (or straight from Apple) for activation.

Dec 4, 2015 3:47 PM in response to David R Ann Arbor

David R Ann Arbor wrote:

I guess I won't be taking advantage of the AT&T Access More credit card to get a $650 rebate on buying an iPhone 6+ which I was hoping I could unlock and successfully use with my Verizon service.

There is a time period and other steps you have to comply with to get that rebate.

Here's how the new phone offer works:

• Spend $2,000 in purchases with your AT&T Access More Card within 3 months of account opening.

• Use your card, now or later, to buy a new phone from AT&T, at full price and with no annual contract.

• Make your phone purchase using your unique phone offer link (which will be provided to you), activate and maintain service with AT&T for 15 days. If you buy a new phone now it will count toward the $2,000 in qualifying purchases!

• Citi will then credit your AT&T Access More Card account for the cost of the phone up to $650 (exclusive of taxes, shipping, fees & wireless service).

Phone Offer Credit is not available if you have had an AT&T Access More Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.

Will unlocked AT&T iPhone 6+ work on Verizon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.