Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 MacBook HD replacment

This is my first time replacing a new, blank HD on a MacBook without an OS on it. How do i get OS X 10.6.8 onto it in the easiest way possible? Thanks, and it also has a CD drive, if that helps with anything LOL.

Specs:

-2.4GHz Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T8300)

-4GB of RAM

-2008 13.3" Apple MacBook

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Doesn't have the OS installed on it

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:58 AM

7 replies

Mar 29, 2015 11:37 AM in response to drake.bebe

Based on the information that you have provided, I believe that you have a early 2008 Macbook.

The original OSX for that Macbook was Leopard (10.5).

The easiest way to install Snow Leopard (10.6) is to purchase the Snow leopard retail disk:

store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

After installation, I suggest running the Snow Leopard combo update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

Ciao.

Mar 29, 2015 12:56 PM in response to drake.bebe

Make clone drive with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper is the easiest way to get the same environment.

1) Put blank HDD into external enclosure and connect your MacBook

2) Format external drive with DiskUtility

3) Open Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

4) Source drive is internal HDD and destination drive is external one.

5) Make clone.

Mar 30, 2015 5:43 PM in response to drake.bebe

drake.bebe wrote:

... i can put the OS in the CD drive and do the disk utility after i put in the hard drive

that's right, the OS X 10.6 installation DVD will boot your computer, you might have to hold down the "C" or "D" key during startup to force this, but if the internal drive is blank and has no OS on it, then it should boot to the OS DVD in the optical drive. When the installer starts up, in the menu you can select Disc Utility before you proceed with the installation to prepare the new blank hard drive. Simplest is to partition with 1 partition, in options make sure you select GUID partition map, it should be selected by default.

I think this might be the specs for that model, you can browse this site for other useful info about particular Mac models, i.e. - max version OS X possible

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.4-white -13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

Early 2008 MacBook HD replacment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.