Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro- motherboard AND logic-board?

Hi folks- I have a non-starter of a mid-2010 2.66ghz 13" MacBook Pro which just stopped starting up one day, no sound, no charging, no nothing. Took it in to my usual computer folk who told me that it was either the logic-board (£400-ish) or the mother-board (£800-ish, and perhaps not worth doing).

Then someone else told me that mother-board = logic-board.

Now I am confused. Which is it? Both or just one? If just one- are these whatevers ("logical mother-boards") really in the region of the cost of an entry level MacBook to buy?! In fact- how can I find out what price and which it might be if I am to consider spending £800 or "only" £400 on repair without having to pay for finding out? Not trying to be funny or do anyone out of a job here but paying for a £400 part, only to discover it actually needs the £800 one and then also paying for the labour just seems insane when a new one would cost less.

Any advice would be super appreciated. What really is the score:

1. Is there one part or are there two parts?
  2. Can one determine which it is, if two?
  3. How much are these or it likely to be in the UK?
  4. A source? Or is/are it/they only available from Apple directly?

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 6:23 AM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:49 AM in response to MacBraveheart

Dude, your local computer guy is trying to FOOL you... BEWARE.

The term Logic board is the term used by Apple technicians and the term Motherboard is used by other technicians apart from the Apple counterparts.

Basically, in a Macbook pro there is only a single board (So called Logic Board ) on which the main processor, RAM and other components are fixed.

Your computer guy may be planning to tell you that he has replaced the Motherboard and charge you £800 when motherboard and logic board is the same thing. Don’t be fooled by him.

Here, have a look ....http://www.amsys.co.uk/mac-repairs/logic-board-repair/#

"Amsys" is an Authorised Apple Service Provider in the UK.

Mar 29, 2015 9:21 AM in response to MacBraveheart

Grane is correct.

" my usual computer folk who told me that it was either the logic-board (£400-ish) or the mother-board (£800-ish,"

Those shouldn't be your regular guys. They are either completely incompetent or massive rip off artists!

Don't go back there.

"mother-board = logic-board"

That is correct. Mother board is a PC term. I've had PC techs correct me when I called a mother board a logic board.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery?

First try an SMC reset:

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Then you'd try an SMC reset by unplugging the battery. The bottom will have to come off to do that. (Check iFixIt if you're unsure.) Unplug the battery and charger hold the power button down for 1 minute. Wait for 5 minutes. Replug everything and try a start up.

No joy? Try the same procedure but don't reconnect the battery.

No joy? Take it to the Apple store or use a known good battery (They'd have one. )

Mar 29, 2015 11:56 AM in response to spudnuty

Thank you for the confirmation of Grane's information. Yes, it has all been tried, by the computer shop and by myself (as I do like to do stuff for myself, where possible). All, that is, except the battery. But then there were issues in the run up which lead one to believe that it is, this time, the logic-board and not just the battery.

Could try it, I guess.

And might just start shopping in the US though, as the prices are £200 cheaper. And that is WITH carriage! 😮

Mar 29, 2015 2:19 PM in response to MacBraveheart

"to believe that it is, this time, the logic-board and not just the battery."

Well the procedure I suggest is a "hard reset" . SOP for Apple technicians when working on a problem like this is to actually disconnect everything from the logic board, everything!

It is even possible to attempt a startup w/ the power button/keyboard disconnected:

power pads

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-lo cating-power-on-pads/

I've done that many times diagnosing problems.

If you attempt that be very sure you're shorting the correct pads and only touching the correct pads and nothing else.

MacBook Pro- motherboard AND logic-board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.