Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move itunes playlists only from iphone to macbook - not enough space to move entire library

Hello! I have an old Macbook and a new Macbook. I would ideally like to move my entire music library (10,000+ songs) from one Mac to the other. I have an external hard drive. My new Mac does not have enough storage space for me entire iTunes library, so I know this is an impossibility. Therefore, I would like to keep my iTunes library file on my external hard drive and move at least all of my playlists and the music on them from my iphone 6 to my new Mac's iTunes and start off with just my newer/playlist music in my new library, archiving the old stuff on my external drive. When I try to import the playlists from my phone, it only imports the songs that fit on my comp from when I tried to transfer my entire music library. So, I've gathered the music files need to be on the comp for the playlists to transfer, but only a fraction of my music files will fit on my comp at once. My main questions are then:

-Is there a way to transfer my playlists from my iphone to my Mac's iTunes that doesn't require the files already be on my Mac?

-Is there a way to move only select music files of a certain grouping from an external hard drive to a Mac? (I know I could manually select which songs I wanted to transfer, but that would take too long - is there a way to move, say, all songs added from 2012-present only?).

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:55 AM

There are no replies.

How to move itunes playlists only from iphone to macbook - not enough space to move entire library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.