Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the file size of an iPhone image drop when emailed?

Hi,

A friend emailed me an image taken with his iPhone 5 as Large, but when I dragged it into Aperture it's only a few KBs. How come? And what to do next time?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:50 AM

18 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:26 AM in response to rshammaa

Raphael, it will depend on the level of detail in the iPhone 5s images.

The back camera take 8 Megapixel photos, but because of the JPEG compression the file size will vary, depending on the content of the image. A plain background will result in a much higher compression.

I just opened one of my projects and sorted the iPhone 5s photos by file size - all original size.

The 8MP back camera images without much structure have a file size of 650 KB, the images with a lot of detail and shot in HDR have 3.65 MB.

The front camera with 1.2 MP file sizes vary between 250 KB and 684 KB.

Mar 29, 2015 8:40 AM in response to stedman1

The front camera is the lower resolution camera, that would be used when using a video chat session such as Skype or FaceTime.

OT:

I use the front camera, when I want to take a picture of the roof in church or castle. I just put the iPhone flat on the table, facing upward, and get a nice shot of the ceiling above me. It does not even require a tripod. But the depth of field is more suitable for selfies.

User uploaded file

Mar 29, 2015 10:12 AM in response to rshammaa

But is it substantial with marked improvement in file richness and definition?

It will depend on the situation. If the light is poor and you cannot keep the iPhone steady, or if the subject is moving, forget it. Then you will have a bad motion blur in the HDR version and the regular jpeg will be much better.

But if a photo has strong contrasts, you will notice much more detail in the highlights and shadows. I like to use HDR for landscape photos. The cloudy skies will be more dramatic and there will be more detail in the misty background.

Why does the file size of an iPhone image drop when emailed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.