Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering files to another computer & Time capsule Questions?

I am getting a 2012 macbook pro. I have an imac 2009 w/ snow leopard. I want to transfer over 500GB of files, what is the fastest way? If I use thunderbolt what cable do I need (be specific). I just got airport time capsule 3TB 802.11 dual band, but I have not backed the imac up on that yet. I'm confused a bit. I downloaded snow leopard software for the time capsule but got a warning that it may not perform correctly (I got that warning before I downloaded the update and still got that msg after) I'm not sure if it actually got the update installed. that seems like I'm back peddling putting snow leopard in a new version time capsule. I was considering backing up both computers to the capsule it's 3TB. can I do that? what software upgrade do I use. how do I know it receives the update?

Thanks for any help

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.6), and macbook Pro maverick 10.9

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:50 AM

I am getting a 2012 macbook pro. I have an imac 2009 w/ snow leopard. I want to transfer over 500GB of files, what is the fastest way?

The fastest way? Make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will migrate the data for you. The next fastest is to perform a Time Machine backup of your iMac to an attached hard drive. Then use Migration Assistant on the "new" MacBook Pro to transfer the data over. Finally, you can perform a TM backup of your iMac to the Time Capsule. Then use the Migration Assistant on the MBP like before to transfer the data.

I downloaded snow leopard software for the time capsule but got a warning that it may not perform correctly (I got that warning before I downloaded the update and still got that msg after) I'm not sure if it actually got the update installed. that seems like I'm back peddling putting snow leopard in a new version time capsule

Ok, just to be clear, Snow Leopard is a version of the Apple OS X operating system. It cannot be installed on the Time Capsule. Instead, every version of OS X includes a copy of the AirPort Utility. The issue you may be coming across is that the latest 802.11ac AirPort base stations require that you use version 6.3.1 of that utility ... which did not come with Snow Leopard. It will only work with OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later operating systems. However it will work with your new MBP. I would suggest that you use your MBP to administer your new Time Capsule and not worry about doing so from the iMac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 11:50 AM in response to nikod7

I am getting a 2012 macbook pro. I have an imac 2009 w/ snow leopard. I want to transfer over 500GB of files, what is the fastest way?

The fastest way? Make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will migrate the data for you. The next fastest is to perform a Time Machine backup of your iMac to an attached hard drive. Then use Migration Assistant on the "new" MacBook Pro to transfer the data over. Finally, you can perform a TM backup of your iMac to the Time Capsule. Then use the Migration Assistant on the MBP like before to transfer the data.

I downloaded snow leopard software for the time capsule but got a warning that it may not perform correctly (I got that warning before I downloaded the update and still got that msg after) I'm not sure if it actually got the update installed. that seems like I'm back peddling putting snow leopard in a new version time capsule

Ok, just to be clear, Snow Leopard is a version of the Apple OS X operating system. It cannot be installed on the Time Capsule. Instead, every version of OS X includes a copy of the AirPort Utility. The issue you may be coming across is that the latest 802.11ac AirPort base stations require that you use version 6.3.1 of that utility ... which did not come with Snow Leopard. It will only work with OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later operating systems. However it will work with your new MBP. I would suggest that you use your MBP to administer your new Time Capsule and not worry about doing so from the iMac.

Mar 29, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Tesserax

Just to add one to Tesserax list.. you can migrate direct from one computer to the other without needing a TM backup. Both computers plugged into the TC by ethernet (this might mean using a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter if the new laptop is missing one depending on model).

That saves half the time (or more as computer to computer is generally faster) as it will go direct... total time should be overnight or a bit more.. say 12-15hours.. but it does depend on loads of factors.

Move your data to a new Mac - Apple Support

Mar 29, 2015 5:50 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks,

I do have a backup hdd that has the imac backed up and uses a firewire. your saying to use the migration assistant from the MBP and get the files from my backup unit.

Do I need the thunderbolt wire on one end and what, a firewire on the other? (yes, the mbp has thunderbolt, MB104LL/A model).

Will the snow leopard back up on the time machine?

When I mentioned snow leopard software I meant software updates for the time capsule. will I need to do that to use the imac and TC?

can I use the TC to backup both the IMAC and MBP?

How will I know if the TC has the 6.3.1 and how do I update the TC if it isn't up to date? The newest update is 7.7.3

If I do a reset to the default, will the software be correct?

on the bottom of my TC box it says the computer needs to be OS X 10.7.5 or later to be compatible, my snow leopard is 10.6.8?

Mar 29, 2015 6:17 PM in response to nikod7

The Imac uses a firewire to ethernet and the MBP uses an ethernet to thunderbolt cable?

Your 2009 imac has gigabit ethernet.. why are you using a converter??

If the ethernet port is dead.. then use firewire to firewire if the MBP still has FW800 port?? Otherwise well you just have to accept a somewhat slower connection.. !!

A 2012 MBP depends on model but ethernet via thunderbolt is gigabit.

So you plug both by ethernet into the TC.. then do exactly as the article from Apple says.. set up the share and copy the files.

I should disconnect everything else from the TC like the printer?

It won't make any difference.

I would however make sure wireless is turned off in both computers.. just to ensure the connection goes over ethernet and not slowed by wireless.

Transfering files to another computer & Time capsule Questions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.