Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect my iMac to AV receiver?

I want to watch movies on my iMac but use Cambridge audio Aero 5.1 speakers through AV receiver Cambridge Audio Azur 751R. How do I connect my Mac to the av receiver? What cables/connectors do I need?

thank you for your help!

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:54 AM

To do this the right way, get an AppleTV ($59 refurbished from Apple's online store), set up the AppleTV and connect it to the AppleTV's Optical out to the Receiver & HDMI out to your TV. Then set up Home Sharing in iTunes on your iMac and finally wireless stream movies to the big screen TV from the AppleTV. Anything else is a kluge and won't work as well as you would like. If you have a 2011 or later iMac you can also use the AppleTV to mirror the iMac's content to the BigScreen TV.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv

Learn more about Home Sharing - Apple Support

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 9:54 AM in response to tigerrr_

To do this the right way, get an AppleTV ($59 refurbished from Apple's online store), set up the AppleTV and connect it to the AppleTV's Optical out to the Receiver & HDMI out to your TV. Then set up Home Sharing in iTunes on your iMac and finally wireless stream movies to the big screen TV from the AppleTV. Anything else is a kluge and won't work as well as you would like. If you have a 2011 or later iMac you can also use the AppleTV to mirror the iMac's content to the BigScreen TV.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv

Learn more about Home Sharing - Apple Support

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

Mar 29, 2015 4:16 PM in response to tigerrr_

The receiver doe not need Bluetooth or Airplay, all it needs is the optical input to stream music from the iMac via the AppleTV. I haven't tried to stream music wirelesses from our iPhone or iPad however you don't really need to. If you have music in iTunes for $25/year you can buy Apples Match (Google it) and then your AppleTV can download your music library wirelessly via the Cloud.

How to connect my iMac to AV receiver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.