Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus?

How can I make sure that my macbook has no virus? Sometimes when I open some websites, something always popped up and I always close it. But sometimes when I close it, it will be downloaded automatically on my mac and I just end up deleting it. I'm just afraid that my mac already got virus because of that.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:08 AM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Chachiblue

It's probably not malware. It's a Web scam that only affects your browser, and only temporarily. There are several ways to recover.

1. Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press the key combination command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

2. Press and hold command-W. You may hear repeating alert sounds. While holding the keys, click the OK button in the popup. A different popup may appear, which you can cancel out of as usual.

3. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

4. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. None of the windows and tabs will reopen.

After closing the malicious page, from the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.