Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share an iCloud photo library between family members?

I am searching for a good photo and video backup solution for my entire family. Previously I was backing up photos to a Windows Home Server that did a weekly backup to Amazon's cloud storage; however, the system disk on the home server blew up, leaving me with the choice to rebuild the server or alternatively look for a more seamless, lightweight solution. I have large quantity of photos and video on a home server data drive, as well as a large number of photos that have been recently scanned to my MacBook pro. We have almost completely transitioned to Apple products and use Time Machine for Macbook backups, so that function of the Home Server is no longer useful.

I like the concept of Apple's iCloud Photo Library; however, I need a solution that allows photos from at least my wife's and my devices to be seamlessly backed up to the library. We use different iCloud IDs. The ideal use case would be that photos taken on any of our devices (across a set of iCloud IDs) would be shared within a single library.

Family Sharing allows you to share a number of things across family members, but currently the photo library doesn't appear to be one of them.

Any pointers on how to proceed? Will the OS X Photo app and the move to bring iCloud library to the Mac make any difference? Any alternative solutions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:31 AM

There are no replies.

Can I share an iCloud photo library between family members?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.