Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS upgrade iPad 3 16 GB

Hi

I just bought a new iPad 3, 16GB.

It is pre-loaded with iOS 5.1.1 and I'd like to update the iOS to 6 or 7. I see no option but to get an update to 8.x

My question is: Is it possible to upgrade to a version 1 or generations below the latest?

I think 8.x is slow and will ruin my purchase.

Please let me know

Thank you!

regards,

dv

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MBP 13", iWork '09

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 8:32 AM

Unfortunately, your only option is to update to the newest iOS version that your device qualifies for, which is currently iOS 8.2. You cannot update to any intermediate version of iOS, even if you find the desired iOS update file for the version that you choose to run. When updating iOS, your device will "phone home" to Apple's update servers to validate the iOS you are trying to install and the device you are trying to update. If the device is not validated for that iOS version, no update will take place.

If your iPad is still performing the way you'd like and is running the apps that you choose to run, you may be better off sticking with what is already on the device.

In the end, the decision is entirely up to you. Also realize that once the device is updated, you cannot go back to any previous version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 8:32 AM in response to _dv

Unfortunately, your only option is to update to the newest iOS version that your device qualifies for, which is currently iOS 8.2. You cannot update to any intermediate version of iOS, even if you find the desired iOS update file for the version that you choose to run. When updating iOS, your device will "phone home" to Apple's update servers to validate the iOS you are trying to install and the device you are trying to update. If the device is not validated for that iOS version, no update will take place.

If your iPad is still performing the way you'd like and is running the apps that you choose to run, you may be better off sticking with what is already on the device.

In the end, the decision is entirely up to you. Also realize that once the device is updated, you cannot go back to any previous version.

iOS upgrade iPad 3 16 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.