Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote will not open file I created in keynote

Created the file in 6.5.2 yesterday. Keynote will not open it from 6.5.2. will not open from 5.1.1. On advise from this discussion list Zipped it, sent to myself. Uncompress - will not open. Sent to different email address - will not open. Tried everything in this forum. Went to app store, would not let me purchase because current version is latest. Think I purchased some version for Iphone and Ipad in desperation - doesn't seem to have been downloaded but was charged for it. Really really frustrated with the new Apple - where nothing works. Please help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 12:02 PM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Walterfc

Try resetting Keynote; perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free, I use Appzapper
  2. empty the trash
  3. shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key,
    release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
    start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair
  6. restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  7. install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Mar 29, 2015 7:25 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Followed your instructions, to the letter,l three times. Still will not open the presentations I created. Seems to allow me to create a new presentation and allows me to open it after I shut down, or quit the application, but very afraid it will trash my hours and hours of work right when I get near the end, as it did to start this mess. On a deadline and still do not know how to fix this massive defect in Keynote. Have never had any problem like this since I started using macs in 1984. Really ******!

Keynote will not open file I created in keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.