Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back-up notes and photos to computer?

Hello everyone!

I have been having issues with my iPod for a while now. I installed an update which crashed my iTunes completely and wiped my music - annoying.

Since then I have been in contact with Apple who have advised me to restore my iPod as I have a few bugs causing duplicated artwork only visible on my iPod and missing artwork that again shows on my iTunes but doesn't appear on my iPod.

I set up an iCloud account however none of my notes seem to sync to it. When my iPod backs up in iTunes I have set it to back up to the computer as iCloud isn't storing anything despite the notes, mail, calendars etc. all being turned on.

My first question is) where is the backup located on the computer, in the sense that when I restore the iPod, how do I relocate everything

Second question) will my notes, calendar dates and photos all be backed up?

Thank you in advance for any replies, I really appreciate it! 🙂

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:18 AM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Abi94

This tells you what is included in the backup and where the backup is located.

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

Information is the backup is not accessible without a special program.

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

How do you know iCloud is not backing up anything? Yu can't view the backup. You can go to Settings>iClouod>Storage and backup and see when the latest backup was made

Only photos taken by or saved to the iPod are in thhe backup. Photos synced to the iPod are not.

Mar 29, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Abi94

Are you using a Mac or PC with iTunes?

On OS X the notes syncing to the Notes.app is controlled by the setting in 'System Preferences > iCloud'. Is Notes syncing enabled there?

Check 'Settings app > iCloud' on iOS to be sure it is also enabled.

I don't think notes are synced via iTunes I believe you need to use iCloud for syncing, hence the need to double check both devices have it enabled.

The iTunes backups will contain the notes, but you need a tool to read & extract them as Illaass mentioned. There are many others available.

Apr 1, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using iTunes with the PC - Windows 7 to be precise.

It's just a worry when restoring your iPod, I don't want to lose all my photos and notes, but then again I find it frustrating how iTunes updates cause mine to crash on occasion taking all my music with it.

When I sign in to iCloud (just created the account the other day) I have no notes or photos on my account?

Apr 1, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Abi94

Abi94 wrote:

Hi Drew!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using iTunes with the PC - Windows 7 to be precise.

It's just a worry when restoring your iPod, I don't want to lose all my photos and notes, but then again I find it frustrating how iTunes updates cause mine to crash on occasion taking all my music with it.

When I sign in to iCloud (just created the account the other day) I have no notes or photos on my account?

Sync is different to backup, but iTunes does them both at the same time.

You can backup the device to iCloud but still have no notes visible in iCloud.

Personally I would backup to iCloud, then connect to iTunes & backup to iTunes. In iTunes preferences select devices & right click to create an 'archive' of the backup. That will mean that backup is preserved when you next backup, otherwise the old backup is overwritten on next iTunes sync. You can also reveal the backup via a right click, however it is pointless since the files are not easily readable.

Having an iCloud & iTunes backup should help if the device loses it's files for whatever reason. NOTE: you can only use one backup type, but iCloud backups should remain on the server when you swap to iTunes backups.

This may be different on Windows, so you will need to follow the info in the links IIaass posted.

Aug 13, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Abi94

iTunes and iCloud are contributed to backing up iPhone data including notes and photos. At this way, I want to share iCloud backup method:

Tap "Settings > iCloud > Storage >Manage Storage > Back Up Now" on your iPhone to make backup manually.

(or you can move "Settings > iCloud > Back Up Now" to make your iPhone back up automatically)

As you can see, the processing bar would tell you how much data of your iPhone has been backed up.

Moreover, if you want to back up photos on iPhone only, you can go to "Settings > iCloud > iCloud Photo Library" to upload your photos on iCloud.

You must pay attention to the limitation of iCloud backup which only allows 5GB storage.

How to back-up notes and photos to computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.