Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My option key is stuck down.

The option key on my apple mac book pro is stuck down. It isn't physically stuck down. I have already checked that. But when i restart my computer it stops at the gray screen where i can choose which partition i want to start up into and that's how i know the computer thinks the option key is stuck down. I've tried using the display keyboard to disable it in system preferences but that hasn't seemed to work. When i plug in my external keyboard, that keyboard works fine.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 2:01 PM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to findly2

Hi findly2,

It seems a key on your keyboard is stuck down. That does sound troublesome. Based on the information you have provided, it appears your MacBook Pro may need to be serviced. The following link should help you get started with the process and has links with additional information on topics such as warranty and service pricing, battery replacement, and express replacement service.

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

This article may offer a solution as well:

One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond - Apple Support

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Bobby_D

Apr 1, 2015 6:34 PM in response to findly2

I don't know what's going on, since you say you don't have this issue with another keyboard, but if the Option key were stuck, mechanically or electrically, on a restart you would get the startup manager (boot picker), a screen which shows available volumes to boot to. It wouldn't go to a gray screen..

Re. Gray screen see

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204325

My option key is stuck down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.