Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No 5.1 sound from Apple TV

Hi,

My Apple TV (3rd gen.) is connected to my Denon AVR-X2100 receiver using HDMI cable, but there is no visible input audio signal when I press the "Info" button on the receiver remote control. It can play sound, but the default sound is only 2.0 instead of 5.1 and yes, I can "distribute" the sound into all speakers by using the All Zone Stereo(but does not distribute the sound into the subwoofer), but that is not the proper 3D sound, especially when I watch some movie, because then it just plays the sound evenly from all the speakers and not as it supposed to be (for example when someone drops a knife in the kitchen somewhere on the left, it usually goes from the left speaker and so on, but in case of All Zone Stereo it comes from all the speakers evenly).

Interesting thing is that in case of PS3, which is connected to the receiver in the same way as Apple TV, the receiver can fully recognize the audio input signal and when I play the same movie via PS3, the sound is perfect 3D, no need to use All Zone Stereo, all 6 speakers work perfectly.

I followed all the different advices that I found on the Internet, the sound setting in my Apple TV is as it is supposed to be for 5.1 and same in case of the receiver.

If necessary, I can provide screenshots of the receiver and Apple TV settings.

Any other possible ways that might solve this problem?

Apple TV, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 1:19 PM

1 reply

Mar 29, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Peter_69

What content are you playing and expecting 5.1 from?

iTunes Movie trailers are stereo only, most modern movies from iTunes will have 5.1 as well as stereo, and some streaming services content will have 5.1, some won;t it will vary from title to title.

In AppleTV Settings for Audio and Video change Dolby Digital to On which should force it to output 5.1 when available.

Wise to check the amp's configuration for that input but I expect you have done so.

No 5.1 sound from Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.