Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to get rid of an old iBook, but when I plug it in, I can't get it to boot up at all.

I have an old iBook Power PC G3 that I would like to recycle. However, many years ago I dropped it and the logic board was damaged. It will boot up for a couple of seconds, then go to sleep or shut down. I can't tell. I think I may have some information on there that I need to get rid of before I send it off to recycling.

I'd like to wipe the hard drive and get it recycled. Help!

Beth

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:47 PM

Beth,

Any difference when attempting to start up (using the power adapter) with the battery removed?

Otherwise, if necessary, one can open an iBook (guides at ifixit.com) and remove the hard drive. The hard drive can be connected to an external USB-to-ATA adapter, which should allow you to read the contents via a more modern Mac. The adapter at http://www.newertech.com/products/usb3_universaldriveadap.php is one example, but similar devices can often be found in local computer stores. It should then be possible to use a suitable disk utility to wipe the hard disk (this can also be done through a PC). Another way could be to use a sledge hammer.

Jan

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2015 4:47 PM in response to bapteach

Beth,

Any difference when attempting to start up (using the power adapter) with the battery removed?

Otherwise, if necessary, one can open an iBook (guides at ifixit.com) and remove the hard drive. The hard drive can be connected to an external USB-to-ATA adapter, which should allow you to read the contents via a more modern Mac. The adapter at http://www.newertech.com/products/usb3_universaldriveadap.php is one example, but similar devices can often be found in local computer stores. It should then be possible to use a suitable disk utility to wipe the hard disk (this can also be done through a PC). Another way could be to use a sledge hammer.

Jan

Mar 30, 2015 11:32 AM in response to bapteach

If you hadn't found some ideas online of how to open the old G3 iBook model

there are a few that may help, depending on which model you actually have,

in sites such as iFixit.com https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G3

Since there were early models in color, and later ones in white, more than

one kind of hardware build example exists under the name iBook G3...

To open it and remove the hard disk drive, as suggested, to access it by a

universal hard drive wire kit (those have their own power supply too) is a

great idea. If nothing else, you could otherwise dispose of the hard drive

and not be too concerned of someone else accessing your personal info.

A destructive method could be used to make the moving parts inside not

accessible to most usual means. I've seen what a big hammer could do.

Hopefully someone may want the remainder of your old iBook G3 for fun

or to look at in wonder, it may not be ready for the trash just yet.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 1, 2015 7:38 PM in response to bapteach

So like everyone has already said the simplest way is to pull the hard drive and access it externally using a USB to IDE adapter. Also called a dongle. Most of these are universal allowing you to adapt to 3.5, 2.5 SATA and IDE drives.

Like this one:

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-12-196-455&nm_mc=KNC- GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-p…

Removing the hard drive from a G3 iBook is a pain. The only shortcut I can give you is that the entire top shield doesn't have to come off. The hard drive is in the lower left corner so you just need to remove the screws in that area. Then peel the shield back/

I would like to get rid of an old iBook, but when I plug it in, I can't get it to boot up at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.