Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce number of mail boxes on mac

I have 4 active email boxes and would like to reduce this to one. How do I do this please without removing them totally from the Mac?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 1:51 PM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy for your reply. All I want to do is to 'hide' the email accounts I do not use regularly and use only one email account as it gets very confusing for people when they receive emails from me from the other email addresses. It is my error as I do not check which email I am sending the message from before I send it!!!! I don't want to remove them permanently! Do you have any other suggestions please?

Mar 29, 2015 6:32 PM in response to support3008

Look at this copy of my Mail sidebar:

User uploaded file

The two headings pointed at with the arrows are what I am talking about. If you hover your cursor over them you will see the button named Hide on the right. Click on it to hide the heading and all items under it. This will work with all but the topmost one which is required as is by default.

It means to take the Google Mail account offline - receive no mail and send none from that account.

Mar 30, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you Kappy - I was unable to do that for some reason - the top mail box - hide - button did not appear BUT from your help I was directed to MAIL, ACCOUNTS and untucked the box of the email I did not want shown - very easy!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Temporarily stop using an account

Choose Mail > Accounts, select the account, then deselect the Mail checkbox; the account’s messages are no longer shown in Mail.

To use the account again with Mail, select the Mail checkbox; the account’s messages are shown again (they don’t need to be downloaded from the server again).

How to reduce number of mail boxes on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.