Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook says it has 108.3GB used for backups. Why is that? I'm running out of GB and would like to free some space up. Thanks. BTW this is my first mac.

My Macbook pro keep running out of space. I have my iPhoto library's on an external hard drive and I backup my mac to a separate hard drive. But I noticed today that in my "about my mac" it says I am using over 108GB for backups! What is that? How do I fix it? This is my first mac.

Thanks so much for the help.

Lisa

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 1:45 PM

7 replies

Mar 29, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Bones2110

If you have Time Machine enabled, then those are Time Machine snapshots. They will be deleted automatically if the space is needed. You can also do this:

About Time Machine local snapshots

Time Machine Snapshots

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed. Press RETURN again.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

For more about snapshots see: OS X Mountain Lion- About local snapshots.

Mar 29, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have to agree with Linc Davis here. I have used those snapshots to recover files that had been damaged or accidentally deleted during periods when my laptop was away from the external drive used for Time Machine backups, hence no other backup of those files existed. Without those snapshots, the files would have been "lost." Although the "snapshots" take up some physical space, they are removed automatically so in effect, they have no real impact on disk space that is available.

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2015 4:33 AM in response to steve626

All was explained to the OP along with the same link you decided to supply a mere 3 hours after I did. Data loss is only a concern if the user needs the snapshots because they have no other backups. Once they learn what the snapshots are, then they can decide whether to delete them.

<Edited by Host>

Mar 31, 2015 4:33 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Data loss is only a concern if the user needs the snapshots because they have no other backups.

The point I was making is that when portable computers like laptops are transported away from the Time Machine backup disk, the locally stored backups can prevent data loss during the time period when some files have not yet been backed up (to Time Machine). The OP has a laptop. This is a valid point that the OP may wish to consider.

<Edited by Host>

my macbook says it has 108.3GB used for backups. Why is that? I'm running out of GB and would like to free some space up. Thanks. BTW this is my first mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.