Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video distortion when outputting to QT

I am running FCP 7.0.3 on a Macbook Pro. I am editing a sequence that is 1 hour and 48 minutes. The first image is text over a field of black, the second is a tif of a logo, and the third is video. When i try to Export a QT video using FILE / EXPORT / QUICKTIME MOVIE / 'Current Settings," when it gets to the video, there is a field of green, then some pixilated video distortion, then the video seems to flicker back and forth and go back a few frames like a stuck record. I notice that sometimes when I am playing the clip in my timeline, it tends to get a little bit "stuck" when it goes from the tif to the video. It seems to jump a few frames ahead, but there is no video distortion, that only shows up when i expert the entire video. I have also broken up the sequence in to shorter clips of about 15 minutes and the problem seems to go away. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:20 PM

17 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:24 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

What are the Sequence Settings for the sequence you are trying to export?

Click anywhere in the timeline and type Command + 0 {zero} to see the Sequence Settings. Either report those settings here, or take a screen shot of the Sequence Settings and post that screen shot here.

It sounds like you are attempting to work with a timeline with a codec set to H.264, which will produce unpredictable results in FCP7.

MtD

Mar 30, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

At the time FCP-7 was built, h.264 was an acquisition format and not used for editing, so FCP-7 does not work with it correctly.

Change the codec to Apple ProRes 422. When you export, the timeline will be converted to ProRes, which will result in a much larger file. It should help with your problem, although best practice is to convert your source material from H.264 to ProRes prior to editing - so check the output file carefully.

Once you have your ProRes master file, if you need to make versions for the web, etc, take that file into Compressor and use the presets to create the file formats you need.

MtD

Mar 30, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I went in and changed the codec to Apple ProRes 422, and now the rendering is saying that it is going to take 21 hours. Is there another workaround that will take less time?

I am using a Sony HXR-NX5U camera shooting at 1080i at 30fps, but I was not able to use log and transfer in FCP to bring my footage in, the program kept crashing at the last minute during the log and transfer process. I ended up using Clipwrap to convert the footage to a MOV file and then importing it into FCP. In the future is there a workflow that would avoid this headache?

Mar 30, 2015 12:43 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

ClipWrap is fine...and the file is makes is ProRes 422, an editing codec FCP uses. But you put it into an H.264 sequence...that was the bad thing.

Make a new sequence. Add one of the converted clips to it. Click YES when FCP asks if you want the settings to match the clip. Then copy/paste the contents of the bad sequence to this good one. The ONLY things that should require a render are stills and clips with effects.

Mar 30, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

When you converted the files in Clipwrap, what settings did you use?

If you intend to work in FCP-7, then ProRes:

User uploaded file

Pierre Degaillande1 wrote:

Is there another workaround that will take less time?

Not that I am aware of*. H.264 is problematic in FCP7. You either convert the footage to an FCP edit friendly format prior to editing, or you end up in your situation and do so on the timeline.

I am using a Sony HXR-NX5U camera shooting at 1080i at 30fps,

Do you mean 1080i at 29.97 fps?

* If you still have the files that are 15 minute subsections of the full clip, use QuickTime 7 to copy and paste them together into a complete file, and save that file. In QT7, Open the all the subclips as separate QTs, then in the second movie, select the entire movie, copy it, and then go to the first movie and move the playhead to the end of the clip and the paste the copied 2nd movie into the first. Repeat as necessary. No guarantees.

MtD

Mar 30, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

By that I mean the clip that was converted. You have your camera originals...you used ClipWrap to convert them (to what is the question Meg asked...and thats a GOOD one. Because if you just did a "re-wrap," then that means the source didn't change...it's still H.264. Re-Wrap converts MTS to MOV, but keeps it H.264. FCP does not work with H.264...it MUST be converted to ProRes 422 in order for FCP to work with it. Or ProRes LT if you want the files to take up less space.

Mar 30, 2015 1:40 PM in response to Meg The Dog

MtD: When i originally converted the files in Clipwrap, I made a .mov file using an H264 codec. I guess this is the whole problem.The resulting file from Clipwrap is one large file that is a .mov file that is 1920 X 1080.

I also output smaller sections of the video but they were also using H264. I tried re-importing those clips but the render time was also 21 hours. Not sure where to go from here.

Apr 7, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

Hey All

Can anyone recommend a solution to avoid this problem in the future? If I buy FCP X will it be able to handle H264 without the hours of processing time? Is there an upgrade available that is a cheaper option (I don't think FCP offers upgrades from 9 to 10). I don't have the option of changing cameras so this is the codec I'm stuck with. Would like to find a work flow that works.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Shane Ross

Hi Shane, you mentioned this solution before, and I tried it, but unfortunately it entails processing times that are completely unworkable. I actually let one clip render for three days straight and the resulting file was 195Gb. This is just not workable. I'm wondering if there is any solution for editing video shot with H264 codec that doesn't require these outrageous processing times on the front end. If I get FCP 10 will this solve the problem?

Also to re-explain, the problem I am having is that whenever I add dissolves or titles, the transitions create a stuttering effect and pixilated distortion for a few frames. The rest of the footage is fine. Is there another workaround?

Apr 7, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Pierre Degaillande1

FCP 7 does not work with H.264...so if you plan on not transcoding, then you need to abandon that app. The reason you are getting those glitches is because you are editing with H.264.

FCX will work with those files without transcoding, yes. It does prefer to "optimize" them by converting them to ProRes...which it can do in the background while you work. But it will also make large files....that's the nature of ProRes....high quality, not as compressed as H.264...and easier to work with. You CAN, however, in FCX, optimize to ProRes Proxy....a low res ProRes version....and edit with that, and relink to the H.264 masters when done. Just know that FCX is VERY different than FCP 7. The learning curve might take a while. But I hear that if you stick with it, you'll actually edit faster (according to some).

There's also Adobe Premiere Pro...that'll edit with the files without any converting or transcoding needed. Dont' even need ClipWrap. But, in order to work with AVCHD, which is a highly compressed and one of the most difficult formats to work with natively...you'll need a LOT of RAM, an expensive Graphics card to enable CUDA (a thing which adds processing power to the app), and fast processors...meaning a really good computer with loads of extras.

To Edit AVCHD smoothly, you either need to convert it, or throw it on a beefy computer that can crunch that complex format.

Video distortion when outputting to QT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.