Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb on Yosemite

I recently upgraded MacBook Air to OS X Yosemite and now can not open iWeb. Yes, I know iWeb is no longer supported but I built my 2 websites on that platform. Yes, I plan to convert the sites over to EverWeb but I can't do that until I can open iWeb to access my site pages. Any recommendations on how to open my version of iWeb or the files to begin the transition to EverWeb? I don't know which version of iWeb I am currently using. Thanks.

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:42 PM

13 replies

Mar 30, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Wyodor

So, I am not sure of how you meant your comment to be taken, seriously or sarcastically, so taking the high road and to clarify my situation, I have all the files in a folder on my desktop which is what I use when I upload via FileZilla, so accessing the files is not the real issue. The issue is accessing them through iWeb to allow me to make updates. So, the question is can I access these files on my desktop via iWeb to make the updates or do I need to get a new web development tool like EverWeb?

Mar 31, 2015 12:33 AM in response to Marali61

No, you cannot access the files that you have on your desktop using iWeb, because the files that you have on your desktop are published files - that is html and css files, which unfortunately, iWeb is not capable of opening because it has no import facility. EverWeb will be of no use to you here either because it has no import facility either. To be able to access your files, you are looking at getting applications such as DreamWeaver or Flux V or any text editor such as Text Wrangler, that does have import facilities and is able to access html and css code.

However, iWeb stores all its information in the iWeb data files, which is called your domain.sites file. This file will be found in your User Library/Application Support/iWeb/domain.sites.

You do need to look in your User Library and NOT your System Library, because you will not find the iWeb folder otherwise.

Depending on what operating system you are using, if Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite, the User Library folder is hidden, so to make it visible all you need to do is go to Go menu in Finder and click on the "alt" and your User Library will become visible.

You can get access to your iWeb site files, but you need to look in the right place and use the right files - so find your domain.sites files and then double click on them and iWeb will open them. Your html and css files will not do as iWeb has no import facility.

Apr 3, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Lexiepex

Lex,

How did you port iWeb'09 over to Yosemite? I've tried every installer version but they all require the application to have

been previously installed which is wasn't (of course) with the newer OS/X Mac Book Pro 15.

I too have an iWeb designed website and am having to use my old Power PC G5 that with the original version running Power PC

only operating system.

Thanks,

Russ

Apr 4, 2015 12:39 AM in response to Captain Russ Shirley

I had it already on the MBP before Yosemite.

I realize that it is not on the Appstore anymore.

What I think you can do is following:

Download Lion or MountainLion from the appstore/purchased on your older Mac, do not install, put that installer package on an external disk.

Download Pacifist (trial) from https://www.charlessoft.com

start Pacifist and click 'Open Package', it will present Yosemite, but then click 'Other' at the bottom and go to the Lion installer on the external.

open that one, click continue, click 'contents...', click 'contents of 'exxential system software group', click 'contents of essentials', click 'applications', click 'iWeb', then click the button on top "Extract To" and extract.

copy the file to your applications folder and install.

Sep 7, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Ethmoid

I upgraded to Yosemite with iWeb already on my computer when I upgraded, so iWeb is still installed on my computer. However, I am having a different problem.

I created about a dozen sites using iWeb. Rather than using one big iWeb file that had multiple sites, I created a different iWeb file for each of my site (each ending with the extension .sites2). Whenever I wanted to work on any one of them, I would navigate in Finder to the location of the site I wanted, double click on it, and it would open in iWeb.

Now, however, no matter which iWeb file I click on, it only opens one of my sites. In the Finder Preview window, I can see the thumbnail graphics of each of the sites, and they correctly correspond to the site I want. But no matter which one I click on, it only opens one iWeb file (the one I used most recently before upgrading to Yosemite, I think).

In the Library>Application Support folder, I have an iWeb folder (which contains a .sites2 file), and iWebSites folder (which contains a sitenames.xml file), and an iWebTemp folder (which I think I created at one point and contains a .sites2 file). However, none of the files in those folders correspond to the file that is being opened by iWeb.

Help! How do I open my various iWeb files, now that I'm in Yosemite environment?

Sep 8, 2015 12:40 AM in response to MacMan422542

Unfortunately, with Yosemite and other previous OS's, there is now no ability to open individual domain.sites files, so as you have found, whichever site you click on will open your very first site.

You need to download a package called iWebSites, which will allow you open individual domain.sites files again.

I would urge you to start thinking about moving all your sites now to something likeEverWeb because there is a new OS coming soon and iWeb may no longer work with this update.

iWeb on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.