Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need photo stream if I use photo library beta

if I take a photo on my iPhone (on which photo library beta is enabled but photo stream is not), it is sent to my photo library beta in iCloud and mirrored to my iPad (which also has photo library beta enabled but not photo stream). So far, so good.

However, the photo does not get mirrored to my Windows 7 PC (which has photo library beta enabled but not photo stream). Why not?

My impression was that Photo Library meant that photo stream was unnecessary. Am I wrong?

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7, iPad3 iPad2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 4:06 PM

It's a beta, I would not rely on it until is released.

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Salisburyblue

I Discovered today that using Beta on devices works with photo stream on PC win 7. I installed beta on devices this weekend but made no change to pc and icloud finally worked and all photos from beta are in stream. But if I delete from device it also deletes from pc so I'm looking for a work around since I want all photos on PC to stay put.

any advice on doing that would be appreciated

Mar 30, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Baffled Boomer

But if I delete from device it also deletes from pc so I'm looking for a work around since I want all photos on PC to stay put.

any advice on doing that would be appreciated

Deleting from the iOS8 device deletes from the Photo Stream as well, if you use iCloud Photo Library (Beta).

Import the photos from the Photo Stream on your PC, before you delete them from the device. Photo Stream does not keep the photos longer than a month anyway.

Mar 30, 2015 2:30 PM in response to léonie

still working on that. This is first time in over six months that stream on PC actually worked. I'm looking for a way to keep pics on PC while able to delete from devices. Going to try a download via cord to new folder on PC and then delete from cloud. That's how I used to do it until this weekend when I installed Beta. I'll let you know how that works but there still must be a better way. Import to PC is the best I can come up with as poster above noted.

Mar 31, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Baffled Boomer

still working on that. This is first time in over six months that stream on PC actually worked. I'm looking for a way to keep pics on PC while able to delete from devices.

Have you read this FAQ? iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ

You have two wireless options -

1. stream the photos using My Photo Stream and copy them from the stream to a folder on your PC before you delete them from your mobile devices.
  2. Store the photos in iCloud Photo Library Beta and use the "Optimise Storage" option in the settings (Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera,) to save space on your mobile devices, but do not delete the photos from the device. Then download the photos to your PC from the web interface at iCloud.com.

But the direct transfer using USB is usually quicker.

Do I need photo stream if I use photo library beta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.