Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i downloaded an app but then a year later i got a new apple id but when i wanted to update the app i had to use my old id!

Well, i was in 6th grade and i downloaded clash of clans but with my dads apple id. now a year later i got my own apple id. Clash of clans had a update so when i hit update, it asked for my dads apple id password. It worked for the first couple of times. about 6 months later we moved out in the county and we had to get a new tv provider so my dad had ti make a new apple id. Now clash of clans had an update but i cant update it anymore because his is gone but it still asks for a password!

HELP ME!!!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:00 PM

8 replies

Mar 29, 2015 9:20 PM in response to Benbenny

As Chris explained, the app belongs to the Apple ID it was purchased with. The best way to avoid this sort of thing in the future is that if you want to change your Apple ID, do not open a brand new Apple ID, but go to your existing Apple ID and change it using the Edit option. That way, everything tied to that account remains on that account.

You would make a change like this via Manage your Apple ID: Apple - My Apple ID

And if your Dad created a brand new Apple ID, that does not mean the old one is gone. He can go to the same link as indicated above and click on Reset Password to reset the password for that old ID so that you will be able to continue to update the app.

Cheers,

GB

i downloaded an app but then a year later i got a new apple id but when i wanted to update the app i had to use my old id!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.